Glidden Paints

I've seen some nasty comments here about Glidden paints (surprised me, because they are owned by ICI, a UK company whose "Dulux" paints I have always considered excellent), but I noticed that _Consumer Reports_ puts them at the top of their list for durability.

I know that CR is not infallible, but . . .

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Correction/clarification:

This was specifically for *exterior* paints, and they didn't get the very top spot, but IIRC they got the next four.

MB

I wrote:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

i tried to use some glidden paint years ago.. tried to paint sheet rock wall and the paint just kept going into the sheetrock.. one coat over the other(you would think the sheetrock was a sponge).. after several hours on one wall i gave up.. went to Sherwinn Williams and got some good paint and never had any problems with it.. it was like night and day.. i will never buy glidden paint again.....

Reply to
jim

Paints are sold on superstition and baseless suggestions. Without formulas and concentrations, it is impossible to analyze which are better or worse. The mfs deliberately obscure such facts because consumers are uncritical, and they can sell based on warm fuzzy images instead of cold facts. I think most paint must be bought by women, or by men thinking like women.

Calling it "weatherbeater" is worse than no information at all. Give us the facts!

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

did you prime it first? no? that was your fault not the paint...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Always used the high end DutchBoy and was thorougly satisfied, but Dutchboy seems to be changing. Changed to Glidden last year. Good coverage. Flows good. Can't tell about durability but no problems after a year.

I think most paint comments are like Ford vs Chevy. If you put switched names on the vehicles most owners would have the same opinion of the vehicle.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Maybe you should have simply given it a light coat and then let it dry before adding another coat. And the Sherwin Williams didn't go into the bare sheetrock?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reply to
Jim85CJ

All I can contribute is that my Father was a Purchasing Agent for large construction projects - Office Towers, Factories, etc. - for many years. He told me that most of the projects specified Glidden, CIL or Pratt & Lambert paint and classed them as equals. He was free to buy any of those paints for most projects. This was some years back and things can change.

Des

Reply to
Des Perado

Paints change from area to area and year to year. Glidden had been a second rate paint, IMO for many years, but about five years ago some big changes took place in the corporate structure and about the only thing left is the name. From my experience and from what I have seen, they have improved.

I would buy them now based on what I have seen.

Like another writer I have been very impressed with Dutch Boy of several years ago. I can't comment about how they are today.

K-mart has some very good MS stuff, but not all of the stuff was any good, some was really poor. Some of the best paint and the best deal I have every had was a local private brand. However they no longer have their private brand.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Glidden's been all over the map. I used the stuff once and it was unimpressive.

For interior walls the only paint I use is Pratt and Lambert Accolade. My walls and ceilings were last painted in '92 and the finish still looks brand new.

Reply to
davefr

I told you the same thing the last time you posted this story. There is no such thing as "Glidden" paint or "Sherwin Williams" paint. There are only specific products. SuperPaint is a specific paint. ProMar 200 is a specific paint. "Sherwin Williams" is not a paint. They make good paint and crap paint, just like most other top companies. ICI Dulux/Glidden happens to make Ultra, which is a fine paint. If you buy cheap paint, it's going to be junk, whether you buy it from Sherwin Williams or anyone else.

Reply to
jeffc