Types of boiler?

I will probably need to replace a 12 year old, wall-mounted, back bedroom located Celtic FF combi boiler. I have been quoted by 1 tradesman for £1300.

I'm a clueless diy-er and have only recently purchased my first house so please forgive any daft questions ;)

Firstly, is £1300 excessive for such work (carried out outside London area if that makes any difference).

Secondly, do I have to replace this combi boiler with another combi boiler? Are there other types of boiler which will do the same job?

It's a 3 bedroom terraced house and I only need modest amounts of hot water, central heating etc. I don't really need anything top-of-the range so to speak.

I'd appreciate any help and advice you could give me.

Reply to
Richard Blackwood

Assuming that the £1300 includes supply and fit, it's probably in the right ballpark.

If your house doesn't have a stored hot water system, you're stuck with either having another combi or facing a lot of additional installation work - and cost.

Make sure that whatever boiler you end up with is well up in the efficiency stakes (preferably a condensing boiler) in order to minimise running costs. [You can look it up in the database at

]

Reply to
Set Square

why?whats wrong with it? Change the 900 to 670 in the return email address to reply

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I can get central heating ok but not hot water. It was serviced recently and I was told that the fan and pump were on their way out. The whole thing is quite noisy and I was also told that it might be better in the long run to simply replace it with a new one rather than continually fork out to have it repaired all the time.

Reply to
Richard Blackwood

Whoever told you that is talking total crap. If the boiler is heating your central heating water fine and pumping that well enough then it should be heating your water - nothing to do with your boiler being 'on it's way out'. Is this guy also corgi registered? Name and shame the crook.

Reply to
BitsNBobs

A friend of mine also replaced her boiler 'cos of the "it'd be better to fit a new one". Better for the fitter of course! Having said that, if you have to keep paying for a "professional" to come out then they could be right.

Pumps can be replaced of course & for fans see someone like Geoff on this group. Dunno why the hot water isn't being heated (if it's a combi).

Reply to
adder

Presumably a diverter valve, flow switch or PCB, depending on the internal design. It could be the heat exchanger if there is funny behaviour, like running hot and cold, or only getting lukewarm.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I was told today that it was the 'changeover valve'.

I managed to get enough hot water for a bath after following some advice to turn the hot water on ever so slowly.

Will find out tonight how much to repair and also get a quote for a new combi - possibly a Worcester SF24(?)

Reply to
Richard Blackwood

That will be the same as the diverter valve. A very common part to fail.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle