Two quick questions about featheredge fencing

Hello,

I am about to do some featheredge fencing, and have two quick questions about (1) metposts and (2) arris rail clips.

(1) Do I fit the post to the metpost, and then knock it into the ground, or do I put the metpost in the ground and then knock the post in?

(2) Do I fit the arris rail clips to the arris rail, and then nail them to the posts, or do I fit the clips to the posts and then nail to the arris rail?

Also, does anyone know if you can buy a "water level" or do you just make one up out of some clear tubing?

Thanks in advance, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Like this:-

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&x=0&y=0&n=18133&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1

Reply to
John Rumm

Reply to
Peter Parry

Neither if you have a choice - Metposts are not terribly good at holding a fence no matter how you put them in.

Make one - you can buy one from Screwfix or similar but its still only a bit of plastic pipe and coloured water.

Reply to
Peter Parry

If you want the fence to last, you thow the Metposts away, buy longer posts, bore a post hole, put the post in and backfill with concrete. However, ISTR seeing a driving tool for Metposts, which suggests you drive them in first.

Never seen arris rail clips. Mine are slotted into the posts.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Thanks Colin,

The fence doesn't need to last more than three years, but needs to be put up quickly, which is why I've gone for the metposts. You're right about the driving tool though - I suppose they wouldn't sell these if you weren't supposed to drive the spike in first.

Also the fence is only three foot high and in a sheltered spot. I wouldn't use metposts for any fence taller than

3 foot or exposed to any kind of winds.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=&x=0&y=0&n=18133&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1Exactly like that, except that I was hoping not to have to pay £15 for it! Still, I should get some use out of it while I landscape my garden.

Thanks for the link, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

For info, here is what I meant by an arris rail clip:

Al Reynolds

Garden Hose with a couple of bits of clear plastic stuck in each end!! There is no pressure so a very lightweight hose is good enough and a bit of clear flexible plastic hose or tube stuck in the end and taped into place.

Or, if you can get it cheaper, a long length of plastic hose. (Borrowed and then returned??)

As used in the shipbuilding industry to get levels and angles of slipway for launch.

Mike

-- British Pacific Fleet Reunion Birmingham September 17th - 20th H.M.S.Collingwood Assoc. Mini Reunion Weekend at Coventry Sept 24th - 27th Nat. Service (RAF) Assoc. AGM & Reunion Hayling Island 8th - 11th October

Reply to
Mike

I am sure you will find it easier to fit the clips to the posts first then the rails to the clips. That way you can temporarily bind the rails in place with string or tape - easier than trying to hold the rail in the right place while you try to fix the brackets to the posts.

Reply to
rrh

My take would be to cut the arris rails to the correct length, then nail the clip to the arris rail, aligning the ends carefully...

Then it's a much simpler job to nail to the post - if you're working alone you can bang a single nail into one side and slide along the rail to fix the other side before securing with a full complement of nails.

It strikes me as the devil's own job to try and hold the rail and bang nails into it if you fix the clips to the post first.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

duty fence could you notch the posts to take 1" or so of the arris, it makes things rather easier (and much nicer looking!) ?

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

That's what I was thinking. I've also though that I may need an extra pair of hands when I do this, although I suppose I could use a couple of clamps to hold the clips to the posts while I knock nails in.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Agreed - they aren't the prettiest things in the world, but I'm in a situation where I need to be able to put the whole fence up pretty quickly with the minimum of cutting, and these save a bit of time. It's only an interim measure anyway - I'm not planning to leave the fence there for more than 2 years, and I'm planning on reusing some of the materials in a different setting.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Don't dig a hole. Part bury a concrete spur, fill the hole with concrete, bolt the post to the spur (with a slate underneath) - lasts for ever and post can be replaced easily.

It's not hard to mortice the posts and tenon (Or wedge) the ends of the Arris. If the panel needs to be removable then the brackets are OK - fix them to the post first, much easier.

Why not use a piece of string?

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

Personally, I use concrete-in Metposts using the following order:

  1. Dig hole 1 spade wide 1.5 spade deep.
  2. Insert post into Metpost using sledge hammer.
  3. Stand post in hole.
  4. Adjust position.
  5. Adjust plumb.
  6. Buttress post to prevent movement. I frequently attach the fence panel at this point to ensure position and plumb.
  7. Pour in half a bag of post fix.
  8. Water.
  9. Pour in rest of post fix.
  10. Water.
  11. Don't touch for 24 hours.

The advantage of using this method is that you have the advantages of concrete (longetivity and strength of fixing) coupled with the advantages of metposts (wooden post not underground, can be replaced).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

then

posts

The site didn't appear from the link, but I assume you mean the 9" (?) arris rail brackets?

I find it easier to fix them to the arris rail first as this can be done with the arris rail lying on the ground and is thus supported. It's then simple to just align the arris rail bracket with the fence post and secure it. If it's done the other way round, then there will be nothing supporting the arris rail when you try to fix the bracket to it as it will be "floating in air" as it were.

Roger

Reply to
romic

"nightjar .uk.com>"

How do you stop the wood from rotting? Mine are all rotting away. I found a crisp packet with a 2001 "best before" date embedded in the concrete of one (Tony Robinson would be proud).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

You're supposed to soak the end in preserver overnight. Personally, I just use concreted in Metposts. Also, concrete is supposed to be installed clean. Embedded crisp packets don't bode well for strength.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That's what I was planning to do when I do the actual fence later! Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds