TRVs

Page 1 of 2
What's the best make? And possibly one that can be repaired when it starts leaking?
--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:20:18 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

I've got Invensys ones (Drayton), which I've had for 18 years
Approx 3 of them have had new heads about 5 years ago, the rest are fine Ultimately all TRV heads fail and generally it's that they become insensitive to temperature change and as you turn the control the valve clunks on and off. Most manufacturers suggest about a 7 year life, so I am pretty happy.
None of the valve bases have failed at all, and I don't know of anyone who has had one fail. The neoprene gaskets are available for Drayton AFAIK.
The heads can be bought separately but are not repairable AFAICS.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Crikey. Mine seem to average about 5. I've had several different makes, but just the sheds own brands.

Mine all start leaking. Can't say I've ever actually tried to repair them, since draining down the system is the real pain rather than changing the valve. One has just gone in a big way in the kitchen, so that's tomorrow taken care of. But I'm considering changing the whole lot as it's a while since the last one failed, and they're not all the same age.

Not really a problem since they're so easy to change.
--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up.*

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:33:36 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Looking on the Plumbcenter site, Drayton, Myson, Pegler etc. are all at around 15 list. Last time I bought a couple, I managed to get them down to 12 without too much problem.
Probably if you bought ten or so, you could do better than that.....

If they're all of the same type, then there's a fairly good chance that others will fail. As you say, draining down and replacing inhibitor unless you keep the water, becomes a pain.
Given the situation, I think I'd bite the bullet and swap the lot in one go. Once you get organised, it goes pretty quickly.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I've had a look at the Drayton ones and there's a major snag. They have what I'd describe as conventional compression fittings to the incoming pipe.
Mine have a male 'nut' which fits into the female housing, rather than the more usual compression fitting type female cap and male body. To change to the Drayton ones would mean removing the olives so I could change the entire thing rather than re-using the nut part and existing olive as I've done before.
So any alternative make that is a direct replacement or should I just go for replacement Homebase ones - assuming they haven't changed the design...
The thought of trying to remove that number of olives doesn't appeal - I'd rather just pay up and leave the problem for another 5 years...
--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

To follow up, I had a trawl of all the DIY palces and PMs, and of course non do a direct replacment for the type I have which I think came from Homebase - which has changed hands in the interim.
So taking Andy Hall's advice I bought Drayton from my local Plumbase. 15.67 squids each after discount, so about twice the price of shed ones.
Looks like I'll have to change the stub pipes into the rads as well - I hope the PTFE tape has prevented corrosion since they're about 25 years old...
So 10 olives and stubs to remove without damage. Think I'll leave it till tomorrow to get a full day at it.
--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 13:32:49 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman wrote:

See other recent thread about olive removal. Four major approaches:
1) Don't bother, use more gunk/PTFE and hope. But that doesn't apply to your case.
2) Slide hammer improvised from an adjustable spanner. Only works if they are very loose.
3) Careful use of junior hacksaw and big screwdriver. My prefered method.
4) Nifty olive removal tool available for about 30 all in. URL in the other thread, ah I book marked it:
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=6610&Referrer=AffWindow
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I'm hoping...

It's the one I use, but supporting a pipe sticking up out of the floor ain't easy. And some of them aren't that accessible. And I'm getting too old for bending down all day.

I'll have a look. Wonder how much space it needs?
--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 01:39:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman wrote:

Block of wood with a just clearance 15mm hole in it and a screw to hold it down to the floor?

Bending isn't a problem but my knees object after a few hours,

From the look of the picture not a lot at for quite a long way around the tip. Obviously a foot or deep and 4" wide for the grips at 90deg to the olive/pipe.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 07:36:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"

Gel kneepads are really helpful for this .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

What exactly are they? Most people get cold on their knees at they protrude outwards acting as a good heat sink. Knee warmers are fine for this.

The issue is pressure on the knee joints from prolonged kneeling and is a common problem for plumbers and others who work on their knees a lot like floor tilers, gardeners, Monica Lewinsky etc.
I tried a few different kinds of ordinary ones but found them inadequate for various reasons - uncomfortable, too small etc. .
I found gel filled ones in Home Depot in the U.S. and bought a large size pair. These use the same idea as gel filled wrist wrests for PCs.
They are now available here as well.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?partd0011
The plastic shell on the front is flexible but fairly tough. The gel pads are built into the cloth that is in front of and around the knees.
I've used these for several hours at a time and find them really good to use.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Job went fine with no snags. The funny design of TRVs was actually a help, as the 'top hat' olives are easy to remove without damaging the pipe - you simply saw through the top part and slightly down the side and they break with a screwdriver.
Since the new TRVs are reversible, I took the opportunity to swap ends on three of the rads where this would make them more accessible. I've also put them horizontal this time - be interested to see if they control the temp any more accurately being sited slightly further away from the heat source.
The water when drained down was amazingly clean - as were the dribbles from the rads. A tribute to Fernox in a pretty old system. I'll put in the fresh tomorrow after a final check for leaks.
--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:05:29 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

I've done that with a few and I think it does improve behaviour a bit.

One wonders why people *don't* put this in. It's very cheap insurance.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Cowboy plumbers. Saving the cost won't cause problems within warranty time.
My brother has a BG or whatever service contract, and they did the original installation. I've lost count of how many rads they've changed through them corroding and leaking. I'm told they don't use any inhibitor.
--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Hey aren't you the same Dave Plowman that said the following:

These are criticisms made against me for not making reference to a previous thread and yet you done exactly the same in a thread about re: TRV's posted 09/12/2003 ?????
What's it like to be caught out and embarrassed.
HYPOCRITE
Mike P. ************************************
Below is the content of your thread without reference to the subject!.
London SW 12 RIP Acorn

Mike,
You hit the nail on the head Mike. This what he wears, yes he does...he said... "Well, I got a rather flash pair of DeWalt boots from TLC, so there.;-)"
Mike, sad isn't it.
He also attempts to give advise and criticise views on heating, yet he said...
"Mine managed over 10 years without being touched before it needed a clean. 'Sooting up' once it starts, happens very quickly."
He didn't have his gas boiler serviced for over 10 years.
I know what you mean Mike. I know what you mean.

I'm flattered that you should remember my posts from years back.
I wish I could return the compliment, but yours tend to get forgotten even while reading.

At last you've found a soul mate. Can we expect a happy event?
--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

I don't know about Gel kneepads, but thanks to a suggestion on this very newsgroup several months ago I bought a set of kneepads despite never having used them before - and it was one of the best investments I ever made!
PoP
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:13:00 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

I'm not sure I would assume any compatibility across makes if you wish to retain the existing threaded fitting. I think I have some of these - is the olive a strange tapered thing that closes over slightly at the top and actually sits on the end of the pipe rather than sliding up and down it ?
--
I used to be disgusted, but now I try to be amused.

Mail john rather than nospam...