triple drill bit (2 shafts_countersink)?

i am screwing down a chipboaard floor at the moment and for each screw I have to use three bits: one for the hole in the chipboard, one (smaller) pilot hole in the joist and then a countersink.

I seem to remember that you could buy special bits that did all three at once. The bit was matched to a particular size and length of screw.

Scewfix and local shed don't seem to do them. Do they exist? Does anyone know where I can get one from please?

thanks ,

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

On 15 Feb 2007 03:54:22 -0800, "Robert Laws" mused:

Flip bit\driver

Lurch

=============================== Not quite what you're looking for but very similar:

don't think I've ever seen the three diameter bits you describe.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Google "tapered drill and countersink"

looks cheap.

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

In article , Robert Laws writes

See:

?searchstr=99174or
'd to:
google for Drill Pilot Countersink

Reply to
fred

=============================== An afterthought........

Have you considered using drywall screws?:

are sharp enough to go through most chipboard and wood in one go without pre-drilling and they're readily available from local stores. They are quite brittle so they won't suit every job.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

bit.

many thanks,

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

i'd feel happier with a drilled hole. I'm not sure how easy these woul dbw to remove, but it is athought.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

I did something similar with twinstart c'sunk screws, a drill and an electric screwdriver. Drill a clearance hole in the chip, drop the screw in, tap it into the joist, then drive it home. It pulls its own c'sink.

It is much more efficient to do 6 or 8 at one time, (whatever number can be stretched to without moving), then move everything to the next position.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Screfix do them but IME theyre useless as the dimensions are wrong for every job I could think of.

Solution is to make your own. Takes a bit of time but you get what you need, and it saves ages on the job. Buy a long bit the size of the clearance hole, grind it down for the pilot bit, screw on a drilled slitted lump as a countersink, perfect.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

and regrind the tip to make it drill miles faster

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You're right - IIRC made by Stanley and rather expensive. But worked very well.

There are similar devices which use a standard drill with the countersink part fixed to it. I'm pretty sure Screwfix do sell them. But they break the drill quite easily (which can be replaced separately) - the Stanley all in one 'flat' blade type was far stronger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You don't need drywall: any self-respecting chipboard screw should be able to be screwed directly through chipboard into joists without any pre-drilling. Something like Spax or Screwfix goldscrews in 5*50 with a decent cordless drill/driver will do them in no time.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I remember now where I saw these; it was when I lived in Norway 20 years ago. When you bought a box of screws you could buy the matching special bit at the same time. It looked a bit like a screw bonded onto a shaft except the front part of it was thinner than the screw of course. Also the countersink had a smooth flat lip so that you CS only to exactly the right depth.

Robert Laws

Not sure what thickness your chipboard is, but when I tiled my bathroom floor, I screwed down 19mm plywood into floorboards with Screwfix turbogold screws using my cheapo 24v cordless drill. No pre-drilling and they worked fine as they self-countersink. Only minor problem was setting initial torque to prevent them going in too deep. Screwhead undamaged and they would come out again if need be (but with a layer of ceramic tiles on the top, I hope I don't to have to prove this any time soon!)

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

the aluminium shaft or something in the gubbins of the flip mechanism fails fairly soon after buying it and very soon after using it.

(I supose it is a matter of how often one uses it.) You only need to flip it the once after drilling all the required holes. I don't remember them having counterbores.

The sets come in various dubious qualities but the counterbore is capable of being fitted to real drill bits, once the crap ones they come with have failed. Check that they ARE moveable. Some come as a fixed one piece bit.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Black or whatever screws for p/bd tend to be very brittle that is why they are not used for such efforts on sites. But you can get them with a drill bit end, I think they are called "tx screws". Not sure how strong they are though. They must be quite good if they are designed for mild steel. (Very thin mild steel.)

For boards one aught to predrill the screws. Chipboard is not so bad but it is critical with MDF. Go easy with the counterbore on chipboard.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

One can convert a flatbit to do the job. Not worth it but I thought I'd mention it. Handy to remember on a site miles from anywhere. Also you can convert any small bit of steel the same way.

Not that I would recommend either idea except for emergencies. (If you haven't got a few odd black screws in the bottom of your pouch, for example.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On 16 Feb 2007 18:56:19 -0800, "Weatherlawyer" mused:

Probably, although for the price I just replace them every now and again, that's if they're not 'borrowed' before I break them\wear them out. I know the one's I posted weren't the most sturdy but I use them fairly frequently and they're not shoddy by any means.

I did have a set of Snappy bits thinking about it, same idea but a bit more on the heavy duty side.

Reply to
Lurch

I can remember buying one and IIRC I misused it through not taking care how it was set up. It was an expensive waste of time and space after that. I did get it changed for something else, though the shopkeeper was unhappy about it.

I would have swallowed the loss if I had realised at the time that it had been my fault but I am a self righteous 2@ at times. I bought a box of screwdriver bits then went back for 2 more boxes so he made out OK-ish from it. When I eventually went back for more he'd sold out.

The box of adjustable countersink/drills that I eventually bought is still more or less intact of course, as I never use the bloody things.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer