Treadmill lubrication

What would be a good (and readily available) substance to use for lubrication between the rotating rubber mat and smooth bed of a treadmill? I've tried Johnson's Baby Oil, but it doesn't seem to cut the mustard!

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

If I'm reading this right? wouldn't lubricating both perform a slippage?

Why do need to lubricate?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The area requiring lubrucatiion is the area between the moving surface (powered by a belt driven motor) and the flat non-moving surface directly beneath it, therefore requiring minimal friction.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Johnsons baby oil - are you serious or taking the p***?

That I would guess is vegetable oil derived so will break down/dry out/become a sticky goo in air.

You need either a mineral based lubricant (wd40/lubricating oil/vaseline/parafin wax - some of which may attack rubber - be careful) or a dry lubricant (PTFE spray).

What was in there originally? What does the manufacturer recommend?

I'd have thought treadmills would use a sheet of ptfe plastic (or lots of rollers) and run dry.

Reply to
dom

Baby oil is parafin based.

Reply to
Fentoozler

Apologies for tart tone - you learn something everyday!

Reply to
dom

One lubricant which won't hurt rubber or dry out is red rubber grease used in car hydraulic systems to lubricate the rubber seals on assembly.

It's available in tubes or standard grease tubs from good car spares places or online from the likes of Frost.

and search on 'rubber grease'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Fentoozler writes

One that I know of came with some silicone oil for this. Don't know how easily available it is though.

Reply to
Phil Hughes

Don't be silly, you'll fall off.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You mean it isn't rendered down babies?

Reply to
Guy King

Depending on what the 'rubber' actually is, there's a fair chance that oils will seriously damage it. Clean the belt and the base thoroughly with detergent then give them a good spray with silicone furniture polish and buff it up.

Reply to
Rob Morley