Travertine tile adhesive

Can anybody suggest what adhesive I should use to attach travertine tiles to a plywood bath panel? I tried using regular unibond tile adhesive and although it stuck very well to the panels, it did not stick to the tiles at all.

Peter

Reply to
psaffrey

ISTR Wickes sell some special Stone Tile adhesive (powdered) abt =A317 a bag I think. Whether it's the best thing for attaching to plywood would be the next question - should stick well to travertine tho and it's white so should not 'show through' like grey can....

Jim

Reply to
jk98

here it is and 'only' =A314 a bag

no explicit usage guidance apparent tho......

Jim

Reply to
jk98

here it is and 'only' =A314 a bag

no explicit usage guidance apparent tho......

Jim

Reply to
jk98

here it is and 'only' =A314 a bag

explicit usage guidance apparent tho......

Jim

Reply to
jk98

here it is and 'only' £14 a bag

explicit usage guidance apparent tho......

Jim

As an aside, are you going to treat the other side of the plywood to prevent warping? Blockboard might be a better base.

Reply to
John

After being laughed at by some idiot of a tiler who insisted that one could not fix travertine tiles to plywood I did it myself using Aredex D30, recommended by a local tile supplier. It worked well and the tiles are still there after 10 years or so.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This stuff is expensive, but it works:

'll want the 'flex' version as the expansion rate of tile and ply are different.

I would expect anything designed for underfloor heating and limestone would also work.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Yes. Talk to the technical department at Ardex.

I needed to bond some limestone tiles to a ply panel recently and there are several issues to address:

- The panel must be absolutely rigid and braced

- A pale or white adhesive is needed

I used a two part epoxy bonding agent as a primer on the ply first. This leaves a surface that remains tacky for several days and deliberately so. Ardex manufacture this plus a complementary adhesive that works for this scenario as well as being usable for the rest of the room.

Presumably the travertine cost some amount of money. Ardex products are not the cheapest, but they are in professional use and they do do what is claimed. I think that it's worth the investment rather than risking the whole project on cheap adhesives from DIY stores.

Reply to
Andy Hall