Traditional builder - chalk block wall

In message , Roy Bailey writes

Does anyone know of a builder in the general West Berkshire area who >could re-build an ancient chalk-block wall using traditional techniques?

What is the traditional method of sawing chalk into blocks and preventing it rotting once you've piled it into a wall?

Do the building regs allow it?

Reply to
MadCow

In article , MadCow writes

I posted to receive information, not give it. So far I haven't had any.

Reply to
Roy Bailey

It certainly is allowed, because I saw a building repaired using it.

I think all you have to do is put in a decent damp course. Its structurally weak however: talk to your BCO about an engineering firm who could specify it correctly.,

IIRC it was simply SAWN like soft celcon blocks, and lime and cement mix mortar used to stick it together.

I have never seen it used without SOME form of rendered covering

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's the nature if usenet. With a response like that you deserve not to get any.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

In message , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

Sorry - I forgot to draw attention to the fact that I was crossposting to uk.d-i-y who have a large pool of people with building knowledge.

Reply to
MadCow

Unless it is a traditional breatheable wall in which case you don't need to, though maybe a few courses of bricks as foundation would be a good idea

Agreed

Don't use cement in the mortar, use a pure lime mortar cos the mortar must be weaker than the blocks and chalk is not known for its strength

Next time you are in Thetford, queuing at the traffic lights on the junction of the Brandon and Elveden roads, then look at the building where the accountants lurk. Built of chalk blocks, has been there several hundred years and no render in sight.

I would think that a 'hat' to provide good water shedding is essential cos I imagine chalk wouldn't last long with water continually running down it

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to