Trade or generic name for sticky band material?

Comes or perhaps came in rolls , about 3 inches wide, consisting of hessian web ,holding a sticky clay, gum and oil? mix, that stays sticky for ever and a day. For bridging gaps in guttering, corrugated sheeting etc, you then smooth down the surface with fingers, and only lots of rags will remove the goo off your hands. Similar to the insecticide impregnated bands for wrapping around apple trees, but without the insecticide and probably more goo per square inch.

Reply to
N_Cook

I do not know about that - but flashband would be a functionally similar tape.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sounds like the original duct tape. I remember it when I was a lad, before synthetic stuff started appearing. Hessian/burlap/jute, I think.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

You don't mean denso tape ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The one I recall my father using to seal glass to steel tee section glasing bars for a lean to roof in the late sixties(!) was called Sylglas and was evilly sticky on both sides and a pig to use but very effective. It still seems to be sold under that name.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Isn't denso basically greased cloth - with a less permanent adhesion?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Didn't they used to advertise somewhere like Practical Gardening - top right front cover, or similar?

Reply to
polygonum

Denso wrap ... I think they make several products under that name

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1.

When I was involved in a project a few years ago which required running a compressed air line a couple of hundred metres to a new building on an industrial complex with existing compressors, I was interested to find that the preferred method was trenched iron pipe wrapped in double denso tape. And surprisingly cheap.

Reply to
newshound

Looks like

perhaps the roll end I found in the shed was greenish colour from the addition of green clay to the mix. Petrolatum? I would have thought there was something more sticky than that in the mix

Reply to
N_Cook

Denso tape.

You'll have had other replies by now (I was so caught up with looking at the wiki articles on Ffestiniog and Dinorwig pumped storage hydro stations in North Wales as a result of the Inside Electric Mountain thread late last night, that I forgot to fire off my reply until just now

- I just needed to google the spelling of Denso).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Flashband is very effective if used with a primer - particularly for roofin work

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

Good stuff that Denso tougher then the proverbial shit on a blanket. Seen it on external aerial connections that have been in service for thirty years or more when you open them up they look like new:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Agreed, but you can't stretch and mould it like you can with the tape. For example you could wrap the tape around a failed joint in 40 mm or

110 mm waste pipe (would not look neat though!) but you couldn't with flashband.
Reply to
newshound

Syglass tape was one version...

Reply to
John Rumm

Only one 's'... but add another 'l'. :-)

polygonum

That has the green colour of the stuff here. At least burglar latex gloves are around these days , for applying it

Reply to
N_Cook