Torque

If a motor's torque is supposed to be 300g-cm, and I attach a 5cm radius pulley onto it, if I use the pulley to wind some string, and measure the pull with a spring balance, what should it read?

My rather loose grasp of this says it should say 60g, and this seems to make sense - if I double the radius, then the pull should halve, but radius x pull remains the same.

Is this correct?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Yes

Reply to
Dave Baker

yes, but motors when stalled may not deliver peak torque.

The classic dynamometer uses a brake band on a pulley connected to a spring balance, to measure torque while running.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ask J. Clarkson. He's always on about how many "talks" a car has - and he's a real wind-up. I know it's all for effect - but I do wish we'd get a proper look at the machanical bits. More than 10ns anyway.

Reply to
dave