Toilet Question

This question might sound bizarre but i need to ask it.

We had our bathroom suite replaced about 2 years ago (the old one was falling apart so we purchased a fairly cheap one from a local diy store). The flush in the old toilet was fine, no problem. But the new one is really starting to get on my nerves. It basically won't flush toilet paper. It takes about 4 flushes to get rid of it. The flush seems really weak. Excuse my stupidity because im not very good at DIY but is there anything I can do about this ? Like i said, the old one was totally fine so it must be something with the new toilet.

Thank you !

Reply to
Ollie

In message , Ollie wrote

Have you got a water saving flush mechanism? A short push of the handle gives a short flush (for disposal of urine). Holding down the handle gives a longer flush suitable for disposal of solid waste/paper.

Alternatively the water level in the system may be too low. Remove the cover of the tank and check the level of the water with respect to the overflow outlet. If the level is obviously very low then adjust the level up a bit. Depending on the mechanism fitted, there may be an adjustment on the float otherwise bend the float arm up a bit to give a higher water level.

Reply to
Alan

Sounds like you may have one of the modern "dual flush" water saving WCs. They have two modes of flush, "inadequate", and "totaly inadequate" ;-)

Have you tried holding the flush leaver for longer? That will often get the longer flush.

The modern versions of these are not too bad in that they give a short but powerful flush that usually does the job, the older water saving ones are not as good however. If you want to change something you may find swapping out the valve for a modern design may help.

Is this a close coupled design? or one with separate cistern adn bowl conected via a pipe?

Reply to
John Rumm

It could be the fact that modern cisterns contain less water. It could be that there is a good reason why expensive WCs are expensive. However, it is also worth checking that the drains and vent pipe are not blocked in any way.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I used to have a so called water saving cistern that regularly took 3 or 4 flushes to get the waste away. Try telling the nutters that came up with that idea that 4 flushes from a water saving cistern uses more more water than 1 flush from a non water saving cistern. Presumabley the same people that tell us all to save water but turn a blind eye to

25% of the supply being lost before it even reaches the user.

Kevin

Reply to
kajr

I seem to have the opposite experience. Not long replaced our 'old' 9 litre bog with a dual 3/6 litre flush water-saving compact one. Now one flush @ 6 litres almost always takes away what one/two 9 litre flushed just used to send swirling round and round... Don't know the make, but was of middle eastern origin.

Reply to
Phil

The old adage comes to mind. If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down.

Reply to
zaax

Whip your cistern cover off, adjust the float or fill valve so the water level fills up as high as it can, ie within 1/4" of the overflow. Makes all the difference.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Whip your cistern cover off, adjust the float or fill valve so the water level fills up as high as it can, ie within 1/4" of the overflow. Makes all the difference.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

snipped-for-privacy@mwfree.net wrote in news:1113923932.366828.95020 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

At home we have two new 6 litre flushers. Generally fine.

At work we have two huge cisterns. Generally take a second flush.

And if the 6l does need a second flush it takes much less time to refill. Further, a partial flush can be achieved very quickly (unlike syphon units).

Reply to
Rod

Of course the syphon could be faulty - not allowing the water through quick enough.

Reply to
zaax

the flush system that I fitted in my house has a whole part way up the syphon unit , This lets air in and means that more water is left in the tank after a flush. I seem to remember that they idea is that you can block the whole up if you want a longer flush ( or you just dont have a meter fitted I suppose )

Simon

Reply to
srp

Hi Ollie Its sounds to me its a fault with the syphon unit ,inside of it is plastic sheet diaphragm,which when flushed lifts up sending water int the toilet pan ,

what you need to do is take the top off the cistern lid ,an have a loo at the syphon unit ,some newer models can be taken apart insitu ,other need the cold supply turning off an the toilet flushed an the cister emptied , I use an old sponge to soak up the water in the bottom ,then you mus dismantle the syphon depending on you toilet ,

it may be close coupled (the cistern sits directly on the pan)or its low level cistern on the wall with flush pipe ,which ever way you nee to dismantle the syphon you can then replace the diaphragm,or if you have problems get a ne one they are cheap

Jingles

Reply to
Mr Jingles