Toilet cistern fill valve problem

I took a quick look at a friend?s toilet cistern the other day as it seem ed to be misbehaving in the area where the water enters ? spilling water out and making horrible vibrating noises in the plumbing.

As I had no tools at the time I unscrewed the bottle cap-like top and took out the rather exotic washer and gave it a clean. It seemed better after th at but now I?m told it won?t fill. Apparently if they fill the cistern with a bucket they can then press down on the ball c*ck against the water a nd it?ll let water in ? which is of course pointless as the cistern?s full. Strange that it won?t let water in when the cistern?s empty. The water enters from the bottom of the cistern and the thing is all white plastic. House about ten years old. Shall I just replace the whole assembly or is it likely to be something simple (like a new washer) ? although I ?d have expected a new washer being needed to cause constant flow not no flow!

Reply to
Murmansk

As I had no tools at the time I unscrewed the bottle cap-like top and took out the rather exotic washer and gave it a clean. It seemed better after that but now Im told it wont fill. Apparently if they fill the cistern with a bucket they can then press down on the ball c*ck against the water and itll let water in which is of course pointless as the cisterns full. Strange that it wont let water in when the cisterns empty.

The water enters from the bottom of the cistern and the thing is all white plastic. House about ten years old. Shall I just replace the whole assembly or is it likely to be something simple (like a new washer) although Id have expected a new washer being needed to cause constant flow not no flow!

-----

This will sound crazy, but it sounds almost like the arm has rotated so that it's upside down. I have actually seen that, so it's not entirely impossible.

Reply to
Georg von Krapp

Here is a photo of it

Murmansk

be misbehaving in the area where the water enters ? spilling water out and making horrible vibrating noises in the plumbing.

the rather exotic washer and gave it a clean. It seemed better after that but now I?m told it won?t fill. Apparently if they fill the cistern with a bucket they can then press down on the ball c*ck against the water and it?ll let water in ? which is of course pointless as the cistern?s full. Strange that it won?t let water in when the cistern?s empty.

plastic. House about ten years old. Shall I just replace the whole assembly or is it likely to be something simple (like a new washer) ? although I?d have expected a new washer being needed to cause constant flow not no flow!

The adjuster is the rod and nut on top of the thing. Loosen the nut and ease the screw slightly and retighten the nut.

Reply to
Ericp

Is the float on the end of the arm catching on the side of the cistern?

I'd replace it with a Torbek or similar.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If its a hard water area it will be a mess if its never been cleaned up. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've bought a Fluidmaster one to replace it - for £11.00 it's not worth t he hassle

Reply to
Murmansk