Toilet cistern won't fill

Just moved into to a new house and one of the toilet cisterns is no

filling. I've taken the cistern apart and couldn't find anything wron then decided to check the supply and found that the was a very smal trickle (very very small) coming out. The sink in the bathroom has no problems with the cold water supply.

I have tried hooking up some piping to the water supply, attaching th other side to the mains and turning on the mains pressure with the sin tap open to see if I could flush out any obstruction but didn't ge anything out of the tap. I am now going to try and "poke something down the pipe to see if I can dislodge any obstruction.

Any help appreciated..........

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

I don't suppose there is an isolation valve on the supply pipe that is turned off is there?

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Could there be an in-line service valve, which is partially turned off?

Reply to
Set Square

There is an isolation valve but it is located on the pipe under th cistern. As far as i am aware the cistern was filling - but slowly

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

Is the 'screwdriver' slot in the valve pointing along the pipe or across it, it should point along the pipe? You say you took the cistern apart, how did you turn the water off to do this job?

John

Reply to
John

But note that I wrote "partially" turned off. If you turn the screw of an isolation valve to a position between ON and OFF, you will get *some* flow - but it will impose a large restriction - hence the slow filling. This might have been done to mitigate a leaking ball valve.

Reply to
Set Square

Or to quieten the flush/refill noise at night?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Thanks for all the inputs, the problem is not with the isolation valv under the cistern as I have been albe to open and close this an visually inspect the ball valve moving. John: When I took the cistern apart I isolated the water from the fee tank with a valve located under it which I assume is there for thi kind of maintanance

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

When you can see the ball moving, what kind of flow are you getting then? You will need to put the water back on at the main stopcock and you will more than likely get wet! At least then you will know if the 'blockage' is before or after your isiolation valve. Has this just started or has it always been like this and what is the pressure like at the basin in with the toilet?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

John, thanks for the reply. I have tried mentioned and when I turne the water back on I got only a trickle of water flowing. The wate supply to the sink is fine so I think that the problem is in the pip that was taken from the cold water supply to the sink

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

Can you see the pipe run or does it go under the floor etc? There isn't another service valve or similar in the pipe is there? I can't remember if you said this problem has always been there or has just started.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John