Tips for boxing in lintels

Hi, I have to box in a catnic metal and a concrete lintel. I would like to 'turn' them into wooden lintels (it is an old house) by covering them in wood planking - two sides and underside. Both are in

9" solid brick walls. I'd much appreciate any tips:
  1. type of wood
  2. thickness - will it warp?
  3. design - rest the sides on the lower plank or fit lower between sides?
  4. ?

Cheers

Reply to
nafuk

Depends what the finish will be. I'd normally use ply. Birch faced for pale colours, sapele for darker shades. Only 8 feet long though, so you have joints. as well as unfinished edges, to think about unless you're painting it. For longer lengths, whitewood flooring is worth considering. More stable than redwood and takes a pale stain better. Dark colours don't really work on any softwood.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

What are they supporting? If they're supporting the floor above, where two rooms have been knocked into one, can't you lose them altogether by moving them above ceiling height?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for the replies. I'd like to keep the finish natural so not sure if ply joints could be hidden. The wood flooring seems like a good idea. They can't be moved/hidden so will be on display. Cheers.

Reply to
nafuk