Tip for travellers

If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can get the weight down to >50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See website for details. Just done it for a 12" double bevel sliding mitre saw. I just need to stop her from traveling with 27 pairs of shoes, then I can get a lot more useful things in.

Reply to
Capitol

Correction

Reply to
Capitol

If you can lift it then you can take it on-board BA as your carry-on. No restrictions, other than the ability to lift it yourself and it fitting inside the overhead.

Wrong.

Max weight 23kg. It must be up to 45cm x 36cm x 20cm (18in x 14in x 8in) including handles, pockets and wheels.

The rules are rarely enforced, and I wish they would be.

Reply to
Huge

BA beg to differ, but what would they know?

baggage-allowances

Reply to
Adrian

Looks like they have tightened the rules since we last flew with them as there previously was no weight limit other than the requirement to be able to lift it. My luggage allowance spreadsheet has now been updated! As for size, you are allowed two bags in the cabin and the one you quote is the smaller one that's supposed to go under the seat. The overhead bag can be up to 56 x 45 x 25 but the size of the overhead bin is pretty much the limiter rather than the dimensions they quote.

Try travelling on Qatar out of Doha. The locals take huge launderette bags on board without any comment from the cabin crew. The cabin looks like the local bazaar!

It's changed since we flew with them last.

Wrong. I've been flying BA to the USA for 35 years. There's always been a size and weight limit for hand baggage.

Reply to
Huge

Wrong. You are allowed one carry-on bag and a small handbag.

Reply to
Huge

Correct.

Wrong.

Carry-on *bag*. Small hand*bag*.

So *two* bags.

We've flown with them on and off over the last twenty years and the only weight limit I've seen on their site has been the requirement to be able to lift the bag. Confirmed by at least two cabin crew on separate flights when I've commented on their generosity.

Like I said, the rules are rarely enforced.

Reply to
Huge

Restrictions were probably introduced about the same time they changed the name from BOAC.

Reply to
Adrian

ISTR a limit of 15kgs being shown in the West London Air Terminal, although that was BEA, in the days before BEA and BOAC merged to form BA. I don't recall anybody weighing the hand baggage though.

Following the recommendations for what it is safe to lift above shoulder height, that would limit you to 10kgs for men or 7kgs for women.

Reply to
Nightjar

The announcements on both BA flights I was on yesterday clearly said to put your smaller bag under the seat infront of you and your larger bag in the overhead lockers.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I thought this would be about nicking 'scrap' metals, phone wires, shoddy tarmacing, threatening old ladies, lucky heather & peg salesmanship. How wrong could I be !

Jim K

Reply to
JimK