Tiny Kitchen Ideas

Hi All,

Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very small kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

What I have found so far:

- Arena Kitchens do 45cm reduced depth base units

- Slim-line dishwasher

- Using plinth drawers

- Possibly using 30cm depth wall units as base units

My new kitchen will be 2m by 1.8m, and I'm having all sorts of problems designing a kitchen to fit all the appliances and still leave enough storage space and work surface area. It is too narrow for a galley kitchen, but corners waste a lot of space, or corner units take up a large 90cm by 90cm.

Thanks for your help, Steve.

Reply to
Steven C

Kitchen units are most commonly made from Conti-Board (chipboard), so make your own. All the fixtures and fittings can be bought from most major DIY stores, so all you need is a tape measure and some tools to make your units to the sizes you want.

Worktops don't have to be bought ready made. Something like 18mm plywood, glued together to form two layers is an ideal worktop. Coverings and finishes can be anything which gives a water-proof coating on the top (but it's best to use chopping boards on any worktop surfaces anyway).

Kitchen units are very simple construction, so make your own.

Reply to
BigWallop

or buy units and cut them down. I did this with some IKEA kitchen units to create 20cm deep bathroom vanity unit. The equivalent bathroom units are several times the price, and completely crap quality compared with kitchen units.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Heavens! That's even smaller than mine ...

My suggestion would be to add on to it. Or make a combined kitchen/living area and use the present kitchen as a utility room.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Steven C" wrote | Does anyone know of any good companies and/or ideas for very | small kitchens? Reduced depth units, slim-line appliances etc.

Have a look at caravan and boating mags for inspiration

Do you really need a dishwasher? Can the washing machine go elsewhere? Sliding or bi-fold doors work better in small spaces. Cookers take up a huge amount of space - a hob and a combi-microwave may be a substitute (if you have a good pizzeria locally)

I *wish* someone would make an under-the-counter single-width fridge/freezer. Fridges only have a little icebox not a proper half-size freezer. There must be thousands of single people in small flats who want a freezer big enough for a pizza and a vodka bottle and don't need a full-size fridge compartment.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As you say, caravan suppliers have such things. But they are frightfuly expensive - more than the full size versions in some cases.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The usual approach is to put the fridge freezer in the lounge and the washer in the bathroom. I would differ with Owain on one point though, do get a dishwasher in somewhere!

Cant you extend a bit? Even just a wooden structure adding a few more feet onto one side would double the amount of appliance cabinet and worktop space. That could be done without PP in many cases. Wood frame, panels, sheet insulation.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Hi,

Some fridges have the thermostat under the icebox so it's almost full width.

A small freezer could probably be located elsewhere in the home if there's space.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Cut down normal B&Q kitchen units and work surface...it's easy enough to do.

Zannussi and hotpoint do small tabletop dishwashers...I manages to get one of these to fit under the kitchen sink in my previous small flat.

A baby belling would be a good substitute for a proper cooker.

Consider a sliding door.

A wall mounted microwave frees up workspace.

Caravan suppliers do ultra small stainless steel sinks.

Think about putting the washing machine elsewhere..or use a launderette.

Is there any possibility of 'sinking' any of the cupboards through a wall or maybe making a serving hatch with a work surface on the other side...maybe open up one wall of the kitchen to the lounge and make an open plan arrangemebt?

shokk

Reply to
Shockwave

Embedding cupboards into a wall? Gosh!