Timber Dipping - PVC Gutter

Hi all. I have a 3 metre length of (B n Q) marley half round gutter with 2 end stops. I will be using it to treat 2.8m length door frame timbers. I have a solvent based preservative (cuprinol trade preserv.). The question is,will the solvent bugger up the rubber seals in the end stops?

If so, what type of sealant will be solvent resistant?

Thanks

Arthuir

Reply to
Arthur2

Simple answer. None. Cuprinol is an acid based timber preserver and can eat its way through most petro-chemical materials with some ease.

Reply to
BigWallop

Which is an interesting comment given that the sprayer that Cuprinol sell through B 'n Q for their Shed Preservative is no more than a standard garden insecticide sprayer.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Which is an interesting comment given that the sprayer that Cuprinol sell through B 'n Q for their Shed Preservative is no more than a standard garden insecticide sprayer.

Rob

And? If the sprayer is made from non-oil based material, then it's fine. Most sealants have a solvent that is oil based, and, as such, when they are exposed to a substance that enhances the softening of the sealant, even after initial curing by solvent evaporation, it will not be as resilient as it should be.

There is a difference between Thermo-Plastics and Oil Based Solvents.

Reply to
BigWallop

Which is an interesting comment given that the sprayer that Cuprinol sell through B 'n Q for their Shed Preservative is no more than a standard garden insecticide sprayer.

Rob

some of the sprayable fence treatments though are water based not solvent

Reply to
Rick Hughes

why not just line the gutter loosely with polythene sheet.

NT

Reply to
meow2222