Manhole depth v diameter

I've to connect a 110mm soil pipe to an existing 4" clay sewer pipe. It will be near enough at a right angle.

Depth will be about 750mm-900mm.

To make it roddable I will need an inspection chamber. There is obviously a relationship between the diameter of inspection chamber and depth to permit the use of rods. I'm keen to install the smallest I can get away with as they are not cheap things. Advice please.

mark

Reply to
mark

It's easier to dig down and build a brickwork chamber with a lid. Make the chamber suit the lid you buy. A good lid is 3 foot X 2 Foot for a rodding access chamber, making the longest face toward the direction of rod pull.

The chamber depth will be determined by the depth of the drain you are connecting up with, and a couple of inches below for the chamber sole plate.

Reply to
BigWallop

I have one of these going spare:

In very good condition. Hardly used! (Decided to lay patio over the drain a few months after having fitted it, so replaced with one that takes the blocks.)

Wycombe area.

Reply to
Rod

inspection

Also, if you are forming a brick built manhole, if you are careful you can slit the existing pipe with an angle grinder to form the channel, casting concrete under it as the base, and running your new pipe in using a 'slipper' fitting which is haunched in with the base. Been there and done that !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , mark writes

Umm... My sister had a house built where the existing sewer (private) was rather deep. There does not appear to be an inspection pit at the T junction but there is a *rodding eye* fitted. This rises at about 30deg. and is finished with a screw down plastic cover.

These were the builders who did not bother to connect her bathroom basin waste to the sewer but left it running into the foundation trench:-(

Huge may be along shortly to frighten me!

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb coughed up some electrons that declared:

Interestingly, I have a 6" private sewer running down the Bungalow's garden, serving about 5 houses up the road. Goes into the public sewer into the road.

I have a pit up top and pit down bottom end, and a pit on my own bit of 4". I spent a good half day however, digging around trying to find the pit where they join. I uncovered a "patio" under the grass (lots of slabs), moved all that, dug around more, but without going 4' down I'm presuming there's just a buried junction.

Weird...

Reply to
Tim S

For the depth quoted by the OP (750-900mm), 600x450/24x18 would be more usual. But yes, get the cover and frame first and build the chamber to suit.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Could they be running in parallel passed your property? They would meet again at the downstream pit, if they do.

Just a thought.

Reply to
BigWallop

what part of UK are you ... I have spares of both sizes, could do you a deal :-)

Reply to
Rick Hughes