Tiling onto Black Bitumen Kitchen Floor

I am intending to tile a kitchen floor. I have removed the original plastic/vinyl tiles laid in the 60's I think. The concrete floor is still covered with the old black bitumen like tile adhesive. Can I tile straight onto this? I was thinking of priming the surface with some PVA first. The floor is level but small surface undulations from the old adhesive. Will the new tile adhesive smooth out into these small undulations? TIA, Tank

Reply to
tank

For this particular one I would ask your local tile merchant (not tops tiles or the likes... a proper merchant). All I can say is that PVA will do you no good. Bitumen is already water resistant, so no point worrying about sealing the floor.

My gut reaction is that you are OK going straight onto Bitumen since it can also be used as a primer for gloss paints etc. Check however that it is sound and that no areas are lifting from the concrete.

Why not lay a tile and leabe it for a week and see how solid it is. After a few days you would still expect it to lify easily, after a week it may lift, but not easily.

Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

I have only recently had the same problem in my kitchen. You need highly polimer modified adhesive. Sourced some ideal stuff from BA that bonds to this gear. Use either their Rapidset Flexible (cures wel quick) or Single Part Flexible (take a few hours) tile adhesive whic comes in 25kg bags.

You can buy it at Tile base or Topps tiles or any reputable til merchant for that matter.

Worked a treat on mine, as I bonded some insulation with this gear t the bitumen adhesive left after I popped up all my plastic (brown nice!) tiles.

check it out for yourself:

this helps!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to