Tiling in shower

This big "virgin" project is just starting, research into WTF just finishing...!

But read conflicting advice re: tiling in shower area.

Shower alcove is currently fully tiled, but these will be ripped off. If plasterboard okay, will just reseal and retile. If any sign of moisture, will replace with the special waterproof boards before tiling.

So for adhesive, need to use stuff designed for showers. And the same for grout.

However, in teh "internal" corners of the shower where the 2 walls meet, Ive read conflicting ways to seal.

One says "use sealant in the corner", and one does not. Today, I'l 99% sure the corners are just grouted....

So - whats the tips for internal tiled corners in a shower alcove?

TIA!

Reply to
ryanjjones

I have used a good quality silicone sealant down the internal joint with great success. Stays white, looks good.

Reply to
Rob

In message , snipped-for-privacy@mail.com writes

Silicone is the safer way to go IMO, as there is the chance of movement leading to cracking of the grout, and eventual leaks

Reply to
chris French

Wht I tend to do, is silicone at teh back, and a grout facing.

This looks good, and if te wall des moive and teh grout cracks or falls out, wate doesn;t get behind, and new grout can be applied.

There is a tendency for internalstud walls to shrink in winter and crack in the corners. I just wait til about this time of year and fill the cracks.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our shower cabin was only grouted in the corners and we used it for years; when we ripped it off (the tray cracked - don't ask), it was a dry as a bone in the corners. I don't think you'll have a problem, a long as the grout is well packed in and of the appropriate grade.

Cheers

David

-- Davide

Reply to
Davide

It depends (IMHO) whether the two walls that form the corner are the same material (and bonded to each other) or not.

If the corner is formed from two brick walls, say, grout is fine.

If a stud wall butts up to a brick wall, say, I would use sealant as the differing thermal expansion coefficients of the different materials (and the fact that one is possibly old and settled and the other not) will mean the two parts of the corner may moce relative to each other.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

That is why you cover it with grout...

Using good-quality masking tape helps, but I never get a

Sponge dipped in white spirit, a steady hand, and patience.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All good answers - thanks. I'll see what it is like when its removed. All walls are internal plasterboard (I think) - no idea on the quality or fixings until I remove it all. I like the idea of sealant right in the corner, and potential grout on top.

My only concern with sealant is that I am really crap at doing a neat job with it. Using good-quality masking tape helps, but I never get a decent finish. (Well - when I fitted a decent shower door last year - it was *perfect* seems a shame to rip it out!). Also - our sealant in the current shower does go mouldy after even 1 year. (Current showe has flat tles at bottom before tray - this will change).

I've tried top-quality branded stuff and it doesn't make any difference. One of the (many) reasons to gut the room and start again with better drainage out...

So - any tips for nice sealant lines!?

(PS - thanks for all the help so far on this NG - all bits bar tiles ordered!)

Reply to
ryanjjones