Ticking pipes

Are ticking central heating pipes a problem? I imagine eventually they will wear through with the continous movement, or am I just paranoid?
Bob
Bob Smith wrote:

In about 300 years probably.
Its just movement against (typically) a piece of wood and or a pipe clamp. better practice is to install felt wrappers where pipes are clamped, to allow a little give.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I know it is movement, that's why I imagine the horror story of it sawing through the pipes... I was thinking of wrapping all the pipes to get rid of the annoyance factor alone.
At the last place I worked, the plumber put a heating pipe through a hole he drilled in a breeze block. I always thought that would get cut through.
Bob

Paranoid, I would suspect. Our CH has been ticking (and clanking) away for over 30 years...
Ticking pipes could be movement or could be poor flow in the system leading to thermal stress on the pipework causing the noise.If you have ever removed a radiator for decorating was it dripping black sludge? I did all mine and flushed them through individually with a hose pipe them used flushing solution in the system and finally an inhibitor. That improved matters for about 12 months, eventually had new system with combi boiler. Mark Atherton On 8 Dec 2003 11:17:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote: