Things not to do #41.

That's an idea.

The coop (an Eglu) is small and unlit, I suspect it must be happening at night. If I undertake this exercise again I'll bear that in mind, she can sit somewhere else.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Do not kneel down to inspect a full cesspit if you own a goat.

(Happened to a friend. Fortunately he didn't go all the way in... only his head.)

Reply to
Ian White

The small and cheap CCTV cameras have little built-in infra-red lights, so work in darkness and won't disturb the hens' sleep.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Obviously your banties have a domme/sub lesbian egg-sharing collective. You can expect the religious fundies with placards at your door any moment now.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Oh - I didn't know that. I was thinking of my webcam.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

They daren't come here. I see them walking past the gate, I think there must be a secret sign somewhere, telling each other to Avoid the Fishers.

Understandable when you think how they've been kept talking for hours in the past ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Your webcam probably has an infra red filter on its front. Remove that and attach some infra red LEDs on the outside to illuminate the hen.

Beware. The hen may demand performing rights and go on strike... :-)

Reply to
Adrian C

eh? How would I know? It was very cheap.

She'd already gone on egg-laying strike, which is why I slipped someone else's eggs under her. It's just for fun.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

List and info here.

Reply to
Adrian C

Adrian, that's a fascinating site, thank you. I'm tempted to have a go. It would be worth buying a new camera just for the experience.

The suggestion was to have a webcam inside the coop to see what's going on in there. The coop is outside on the ground, this pc is on the first floor but at the same side of the house as the coop. How do I connect the two? I suppose I mean, what kind of connecting wire/cable (?) do I use and would it work over such a long length (about 30 -35 feet)?

Mary Sorry - about ten metres.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you don't mind spending 100 quid, Maplins have a camera in their sale which would do the job. It has an array of infra-red LEDs for use in the dark - and produces a signal which you can see on a TV or record on a VCR.

you'll have to hurry - today is the last day of the sale!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I DO!

No good for me then :-)

Thanks, but I like the d-i-y process described earlier.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Sorry, I forgot!

[I was thinking, in particular, that it comes with a long cable - so that you can look at/record it in the house. With a USB-based web-cam, you'll need a computer in the coop!]
Reply to
Roger Mills

Only if you don't use a few extension cables to hook it up.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Can't I get a long lead ... sorry, cable?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Tell me more. Please.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

About 15ft is the maximun length for a USB cable. To do more than that (upto 150ft) you could use Cat-5 network cable and the following £47 gizmo mentioned here recently.

Though a secondhand 'dead battery' laptop with a USB port can probably be aquired for less, and maybe placed closer....

Reply to
Adrian C

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

It also works with digital stills cameras, too. And the resolution's better. The least satisfactory bit of the whole thing is the IR-pass filter. A bit of old film makes the image rather fuzzy even when it's close to the sensor. You can improve things a big by making sure the emulsion side is next to the CCD and best of all touching it. Even better is a bit of proper IR filter.

Oh, and this bloke's got a different take on the whole subject.

Guy King

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I think I'll just wonder :-)

But thanks anyway,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hmm.

How do I get Zen (the Zebra hen) or Gen (the ginger hen) to press the shutter release?

I don't think Spouse would approve of my using his welding goggles. He doesn't mind for eclipses but hens is different, innit.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher