thin / thick bad adhesive

A question of terminology. What ranges of bed thickness apply to thin or thick bed adhesive ? Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

5mm is IMHO the marker
Reply to
Jim K

Sorry, I mean floor tile adhesive.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

So a 5mm bed (after the ridges compressed down) would just be thin bed ? I notice there are several thin/thick ones around with max up to 12mm or so. I'll probably use something like that. I plan to use a 5mm bed to allow the swallowing up of minor floor irregularities ( a couple of mm here or there). Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

how thick is your idea of "thick bed" then? tiles being say 10/15mm thick.....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Well, that is the question ? I just wanted to know normal terminology. But I'd think 4mm min would be on average required to lay on a floor with minor ridges, bumps etc. On a totally flat floor, thin bed could be only 1mm of adhesive. Also, I'd guess flexible adhesive (not that I need it) would need to be a minimum depth to be able to flex properly without losing adhesion.

I've seen thick bed being OK for up to 25mm depth on the data sheet. Not sure why you'd need that maybe for laying uneven real slates, stone etc.

I also wonder it a DIY modified cement mix could be used and be cheaper, i.e. cement, sand and an admixture. Maybe even SBR mortar would work well.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

depends on how ridgey/bumpy it is?

in theory I suppose so. is there a 2mm notched trowel

pass - technical data sheets?

sells more adhesive too ;>) kerching

I've *padded* adhesive with plenty of sharp sand to make up some major deviations in a conservatory

why not, that's all a "normal" cementitious adhesive is - very fine aggregate and cement? what admixture you thinking of adding and why?

probly overkill? and =A3=A3=A3

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Well only if its cheaper than buying the tile cement

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson