These quarry tiles are a bit chunky

coughed up some electrons that declared:

Good :)

Think I'll replicate bit's of my website up there.

Yes, I believe it might be. I'll probably have to get rid of it as I doubt my daughter will want random people saying hello into her bedroom from the kitchen ;->

Reply to
Tim S

That worked for me too. Just tried the others & got "The page cannot be displayed". again (16:18)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Disabuse is always welcome. It's a refreshing change from the plain kind (without the "dis").

Reply to
neverwas

Always liked words starting with dis-, probably mother's influence as she explained some of the oddities of doing crosswords many, many moons ago.

My actual machine's ip is 10.0.1.112; 10.0.1.1 seems to be what the airport is.

Reply to
Rod

ok here:

1 27 ms 3 ms 4 ms 192.168.1.1 2 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms lo0-plusnet.thn-ag3.plus.net [195.166.128.80] 3 30 ms 31 ms 33 ms vl303.thn-gw2.plus.net [84.92.3.178] 4 32 ms 31 ms 37 ms vl23.pte-gw2.plus.net [212.159.4.28] 5 31 ms 31 ms 34 ms ge-1-3-0-309.picasso.as34270.net [195.66.225.36

6 38 ms 37 ms 36 ms ge-3-0-0-0.raphael.as34270.net [85.91.232.2]

7 33 ms 34 ms 35 ms no-dns-yet.inetc.co.uk [85.91.232.30] 8 41 ms 40 ms 33 ms thn.aimless.aaisp.net.uk [90.155.53.2] 9 38 ms 33 ms 37 ms careless.aaisp.net.uk [81.187.81.72] 0 61 ms 65 ms 63 ms 81.2.78.28 1 66 ms 67 ms 62 ms warpfield.dionic.net [81.2.78.46] 2 63 ms 65 ms 61 ms mothra.dionic.net [81.2.78.41]
Reply to
John Rumm

This started off as a kitchen thread and has mutated into something seriously tedious.

Reply to
mark

Yep, thanks. My mistake was confusing your router with a Virginmedia UBR.

One other thought for Tim. Any chance you are running with "Bogon filters" which include 77.96.0.0/13? ISTR that when IP addresses in that block were first used by Telewest there were some access problems because of out-of-date filters. But I could very well be disremembering.

Reply to
neverwas

Yes thanks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Interesting:

DAve, your IP appeared to be

when you posted.

Although someone else may have that IP right now, that shouldn;t affect anything, and I can ping it.

Reply to
Tim S

neverwas coughed up some electrons that declared:

Genius point. I've not reviewed the bogon list, having based my firewall off shorewall, and the bogon list is well out of date.

I'm updating it and I now have a logging rule that fires if it trips on the bogon rule.

I'll see how that goes...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

It's not tedious, it's DIY networking :)

Reply to
Tim S

neverwas coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yep, that was it. The old bogon list had 90/8 which, rather embarrasingly now contains a core route out from my ISP.

Knowing I won't have time for the next year to maintain anything, took the bogon list back to the basic list of private and reserved addresses.

Webshite will be accessible by all.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Errm, well that's good then.

Sorry Tim, didn't understand a single word of that :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

S'ok, all fixed now. I built my firewall so long ago and it's been so reliable (ie untouched), I'd completely forgotton some of the details. All my fault, all fixed, so back to the DIY now...

But thanks to all who took the time to traceroute etc as it did affirm the problem, so I can be confident I've fixed everything :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I was thinking it started out as a tedious kitchen thread and mutated into something quite interesting... each to his own ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm coughed up some electrons that declared:

Internet not work = me annoyed

Kitchen not work = double testicular amputation

;->

Reply to
Tim S

It mutated into something I didn't understand :-(

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I can see that might focus your attention...

(as I remember a marine training video once showed a way of getting captives to do as you want: You grab him by the goolies and move thus... he tends to go wherever you decide they go!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Well in the grand scheme of things - not much of great complexity happened. Tim inadvertently told his firewall to discard incoming messages from certain origins, and it did.

"Ping" is a command line program that squirts a "are you there" message to a remote computer and waits for a response.

Traceroute is a posh version of ping that does the same but also elicits a response from each of the "in between" computers in the chain that connect you to the remote machine - hence you can see at what point in the chain the message goes AWOL.

That pointed the finger of suspicion at the firewall, and Tim had words with it.

Job done.

Simple huh? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You need to call the Medway network man if you get a problem then.

Reply to
dennis