Quarry TIles

Kitchen floor consists of 8" tiles in a maroon red colour of 1948 vintage. I have always referred to theses as Quarry tiles although they are different from the thin floor tiles found in Victorian houses. These are about 18mm (3/4") thick of something like a concrete construction with a finer surface. They have previously been painted but this is now worn and scuffed and I should like to get the floor looking half decent again.

Paint is the obvious solution but most of the floor paints that I have found seem to specify that they are not suitable for quarry tiles. So the question is (i) do I have quarry tiles and (ii) if so is there paint that is suitable. I do not want anything too expensive since this is a temporary measure to tide me over until I do a full refurb of the kitchen.

Before anyone suggest it, stripping back and polishing is not an option since patches of the floor are concrete from where I removed a built in larder.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

"International" quick drying floor paint.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"Also not suitable for use on ceramic, terracotta or quarry floor tiles, asphalt or vinyl flooring."

Reply to
Andrew

You *did* say it is for "a temporary measure to tide me over until I do a full refurb".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Point taken :-) but given how long it lasted last time I was wondering if there was something that might at least still look good when I come around to do the job properly. Then again the problem in the past might be down to poor preperation and I have already started to fully strip the existing paint and will degrease before applying anything new.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

How big an area is it? Does "stuff" stand on the floor?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

12' x 12' room size so 10' x 10' after allowing for units on two sides. Washing Machine and Dishwasher push in under the worktop and there is a small table and chairs in the other corner. So not a lot but things do get moved around. Deteriation of existing surface seems to be mainly due to foot traffic.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I established last night that ordinary paint stripper (Nitromors) does a good job of stripping the existing paint so at least I should be able to get the whole floor back to a good base. Unless I can find anything better I will give it a good clean and try the International floor paint that Chris suggested.

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew