Thermocouple - flame failure

How many millivolts should I get on a healthy thermocouple in Worcester Heatslave Highflow Combi?

The boiler has gone out and won't relight. I can get about 20mv

Reply to
John

About right but have you got almost 0 ohms across it at an amp or so? It has to deliver a high current at the very low voltage it generates in order to operate the gas valve's pilot solenoid.

Reply to
John Stumbles

I just checked an old one which was replaced last year and it reads 35 mV when held in the gas ring at a dull red temp at the tip. Not much current (2mA), but my DVM is probably high impedance.

john2

Reply to
john2

Not sure that the thermocouple operates the gas valve directly. I thought the mains supply also powered an amplifier.

john2

Reply to
john2

The message from john2 contains these words:

Not on the gasvalve I took apart four years ago. Very fine-wound solenoid operated directly by the thermocouple.

Reply to
Guy King

Replaced now (it failed on Sunday hence trying to fix it). There is no amplifier on any that I have ever seen.

Reply to
John

In message , john2 writes

It's only providing 'hold in' current to the valve because you've provided the initial 'pull in' when you ignited the boiler so it could be said that it's not operating the valve but maintaining its state but it's definitely directly connected with no intervening amplifiers or other such 'gubbins'.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I stand corrected, quite interesting though

john2

Reply to
john2