The ultimate torch?

fancy one of those in their Christmas stocking?

Dick

Reply to
Richard Head

I thought that was a bit pricey, but then I noticed they include a free set of D Cells - so its not so bad after all! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not to mention the free delivery of course, don't know how they manage it at the price! :-)

Reply to
Bill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Richard Head" saying something like:

See

Grimly Curmudgeon

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Not if you bought the parts from Maplin :-)

Reply to
pete

Yeah, Maplin took up where Tandy left off! ;-)

Reply to
John Whitworth

Any truth in the rumour that they are being taken over by that audio place, whose name I forget? .-)

[the one that charges over £1000 for a power cable...]
Reply to
Bob Eager

it's black, so it's easy to lose, maybe get two or three, stocking fillers? [g]

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager saying something like:

Russ Andrews.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Try 7dayshop Cree torches. I'm impressed by their headlight for =A35 delivered including the 3 AAAs

Pete

Reply to
peteshew

If you want a good torch these days, the trick is to buy one with a single LED, and a moulded plastic optic around it. The LED will probably be made by Cree (maybe Luxeon or Nichia). The torch might be from LED Lenser. Spending around =A325 gets you "last week's model", which is far better than last month's model for performance, but a tenth of the price of next week's model. LED Lenser's focussable model (twist head, optic moves in and out) is my favourite at the moment.

Multiple small LEDs with no optics is pound shop territory these days. OK for good illumination at close range, but there's no beam.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The =A320 one says "The Photon tube reflectors cause the high power diodes to shine with undreamt brightness."

It's not been the same since Doug Simmons' days.

Owani

Reply to
Owain

Just for info:

This masterpiece is another milestone in LED Lenser company history. The LED Lenser=AE X21 will cause a sensation because it allows for a whole range of new applications in light engineering. This torch has a light output of up to 1068 lumens, thanks to the Advanced Focus System, the light cone can be adjusted dynamically.

You must have held this lamp in your hand to be able to really appreciate it. The LED Lenser=AE X21 offers a broad, circular low beam as well as a sharply focused searchlight beam. 7 ultra-bright high- performance chips and 7 terminator lenses produce a quality of light that you have never experienced before - a blazing beam that makes even car headlights look pale in comparison. This lamp=92s lighting range is already legendary. And its impressive appearance radiates power and authority.

I do not work for them ! Got some good reviews though.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You want one of these.

F Murtz

Care to give a link? I'm always after a decent torch to carry in the car. Sticking with AA Maglites at the mo, but, of course, they dont light up much. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

heat given off that it can cook an egg/burn paper. I got a rechargeable 12v torch form Screwfix for £20, and it lights up houses 100 metres away - it is pretty much just a car 12v halogen bulb in a reflector. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I'd rather not, as they tend to rot very quickly. Just search by name.

My favourite torch this week (i.e. the one I pick up and use) is the LED Lenser Police Tech Focus. 1.25W Cree LED and 105 lumens. I bought mine for =A325, for five of them in black about 6 months ago. I should have bought ten really (cheaper), as the box split around the office very easily.

LED Lenser also use good waterproof tail buttons. These are easy to handle, easy with gloves, and some of my aluminium torches have rubber grips added for winter (bike inner tube), which is easiest with a tail button.

There are a lot of 3W Crees around at the moment, and I think there's now a 3W Police Tech model too. I'm just building a few wooden ones myself (1920s Ever-Ready wooden box housings, with new optics) and as I can fit a bunch of AA in there, battery life is OK. For a compact cylindrical torch though (i.e. 3 AAAs) battery life gets shorter at

3W.

Candlepowerforums is the place for the real discussion, but those guys are pretty obsessive.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

coffee maker. 1950s Cona vacuum balance machine, with halogen heating added, rather than the old spirit lamp.

Why would anyone make a torch with anything other than LEDs?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

They've improved in leaps and bounds in the past couple of years. I still have an LED drop-in bulb for a torch, which is quite shit, but ok on a pitch dark night. Only reason was for battery longevity. I've just bought a couple of 5W (claimed) torch /bicycle lamps which are excellent for illumination and run off three AAAs. 6quid delivered, iirc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember alan@darkroom.+.com (A.Lee) saying something like:

That's the kind of thing you want to stuff an HID in.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon