Terminating mini din sockets

Just fitting some mini din sockets into a box. The terminating cylinders are about 0.8mm dia od. Anyone found a better method than solder to connect these pins to a piece of wire?

Reply to
Capitol

Nope that is how you are supposed to do it- with a very fine iron. They are called solder buckets. I also fit tiny heat shrink sleeves on alternate pins. a touch with the iron does the shrink fine.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Might a half butchered but otherwise ready assembled cable with a male socket end fit these terminals from the inside?

OTOH I've done these with a hot small tipped iron, leaded solder with flux, as short a time as possible. Could suggest alcohol to reduce the shakes, and numb the pain from nursing finger burns.

Or ask at your local chinese takeaway or mobile phone shop. They will know someone that does it in their sleep.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Tin the pins , tin the wire ends, hold together , apply iron and reflow into a joint, add flux if you really have to, fresh leadtatstic solder won`t require a touch up, sub min Ds are a real pain.

+1 for heatshrink, *before* making the joint...
Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Why not simply buy DIN sockets with proper solder tags? The sort where you can secure the wire before soldering?

Some just love taking the difficult way. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

These don't seem to exist in mini din. I did look at using a sacrificial mini din cable, but very few 8 wire cables seem to exist and the wire size is generally a mystery.

Reply to
Capitol