Temporary (1-2 years) roof covering?

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:36:34 +0100, a certain chimpanzee, "David WE Roberts" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Planning and Building Regulations are two completely different things.

The height requirements are for planning rules on permitted development. Building regulations exempt any single-storey building not containing sleeping accommodation with a floor area of no more than 15m^2 anywhere and of any height, and any building of less than

30m^2 and of any height if constructed substantially of non-combustible materials or more than 1.0m from a boundary.

I suggest you go back and re-read the pages you linked.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

A kazoo! Now there's an idea - there's one kicking around somewhere ... a memento of ISIHAC

Mary

Reply to
oldhenwife

I wans't really considering the split between planning and building regs. for different aspects of the overall regulations and where that split was because it is the overall package of regulations which dictates what I can and cannot build without having to submit a formal application of some sort.

I have talked to Building Control and will be talking to the planners tomorrow.

So far, the first fly in the ointment is that a temporary roof of board covered with felt would probably rule out 'substantially non-combustible' and thus mean that a building over 15m^2 internal floor measurement would have to be 1 metre from the boundary. I was hoping to go to 30m^2 and 0.5m from the boundary by building from blocks. Interestingly, a 'substantially non-combustible' building could go right up to the boundary (assuming the neighbours were O.K. with this). However, I would prefer acccess to the outside of all the walls so I don't want to go closer than 0.5m to the boundary anyway (which is all fenced).

So now I need something 'substantially non-combustible' to use as roofing until I can get at my tiles. The obvious thing is corrugated iron sheeting but this is not showing at my local Travis Perkins. There are probably tons of it in the farms around here, and also probably a lot of it will by lying around unused.

Anyone know a good source of metal roofing, or know of a good 'substantially non-combustible' alternative? It would be ironic if tiles turned out to be the cheapest alternative.

Alternatively, I suppose I could fit a 'temporary roof' until the tiles are available.

However, the wood roof under the tiles may well still be considered 'combustible' and violate building regs.

Nothing is easy, is it?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to