technique for glossing wood to avoid runs/brushmarks?

every time i paint wood i end up frustrated as the end result either contains runs or brush marks!!

there must be a procedure/technique for painting correctly?

I've noticed with edges that if you paint to them in one direction you wont get a run but the other way you will.

also i've read somewhere to paint along the grain, or at least with a final stroke go along it?

someone here must know the answer.. do you get the edges done first or do all the middle then edges last? what way to apply the paint?

cheers!

Reply to
benpost

Don't use CROWN paint from B&Q, only buy decent and well known paint. Don't load up the brush too much and also get some good quality brushes. I recently painted some doors and noticed that the softer brushes were far better for applying gloss and not leaving brush marks. Next time I would stick to a satin finish for doors.

Reply to
Rob

Strangely, I always use Crown paint, and get on fine with it. I always buy the best stuff though, not the cheapest, which is typically half the price of the paint I use. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

well i've already got the paint, dulux, so it should be ok and already got various brushes... what i'm looking for is a pattern of applying the paint.. such as dont load it up too much, dont press hard, start from the edge or middle, paint opposite the wood grain or in line with it?? do the middle first or edges? i've got a flat door to paint. also whats the best way to deal with a door with panelling?

Reply to
benpost

If you are using a non-drip gloss, don't overbrush it. If you are using a normal gloss don't whack too much on.

TBH I'm much better with a spray gun than I am with a brush. So to the annoyance of my wife, I remove the doors, lay them on a trestle and spray paint them, which gives a very good finish.

Reply to
Steve Firth