Taking power from fusebox to double plug socket

Hi,

If I wanted to place a double plug socket in this cupboard, how difficult would it be to take power from here, and just put a double plug in the same area? [1]

Obviously, if I have to ask, I won't touch. But just wanted to know the difficulties involved with doing something like this.

Reply to
elyob

house or just a sub board (possibly off-peak)? I can't see any meter tails feeding it.

What circuits do the fuses supply?

Is there RCD protection?

How is that CU supplied?

What sort of load would the sockets be used for?

Is there a suitable earth?

(Etc)

To physically make the connection, TURN OFF THE MAINS POWER, remove the fuses, undo the two screws on the front and pull the front of the casing off.

WARNING even with the main switch on the CU off, there may be BARE LIVE PARTS inside. You need to turn off the mains power upstream of that CU at the main CU or by removing the service fuse.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The current fuses are

5A Lighting 10A Immersion Heater 30A Heating 30A Plugs 30A Plugs 45A Shower
Reply to
elyob

Then you can probably take a spur off one of the 30A socket circuits from the CU. Again, warning - opening the CU may expose bare live parts even when 'switched off'.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's quite easy -- it just connects into the same fuse as the ring circuit. I would replace the 30A fuses with MCB's as has been done with one of the other fuses (the current MCB's for this fusebox have a toggle rather than the older push-button one you have there).

The electrician doing it should also check the house earthing, and it might need bringing up to current standards. That fuse box is also rather old, but that alone isn't a reason for replacement unless any part is faulty.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You can run a spur from any point on one of your existing ring final circuits, and this includs from the CU itself. Hence I would pick the most appropriate circuit (like the one that feeds all the downstairs power sockets if there is such a thing), and wire a single 2.5mm T&E cable from your new socket into the CU and add its wires to the earth and neutral busbars and the fuse currently used for that circuit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Put your Marigolds on, turn the power off and take a spur off the fuse which supplies the ring main.

tarquinlinbin