table lamp screw fitting

I've just tried to repair a broken table lamp and the replacement fitting I bought didn't screw onto the base of the lamp as it was a different size. This is a new lamp, I thought they were all one standard size. Anyone know what's going on?

Reply to
Ben

I the good old days they were all threaded 1/2" British Standard Brass thread (26tpi) but all sorts of threads turn up these days on 'furrin' lamps.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:40:46 +0100, Ben scrawled:

I'd hazard a guess at you've got the wrong size fitting.

Reply to
Lurch

Looks like you've bought the good old fashioned 1/2 Inch size.

try getting a 10mm one.

the 1/2 inch and 10mm ones are most common types u can get.

-=Scozia=-

Reply to
-=Scozia=-

Yeah, I've measured them and you're right. The broken one from the new lamp is 10mm and the replacement one they had in the local DIY shop is the old 1/2 inch. Looks like I'll be going to B&Q tomorrow then.

Thanks

Reply to
Ben