Suspending computer under desk

Most cases give the choice of vertical or horizontal use - often obvious by the feet.

But with those, the air vent for the processor fan is kept clear, which wouldn't be the case if you mounted it under a desk. And inverting it would proably also upset the airflow and make a DVD drive impossible to use.

So I'd want to leave a decent clearance between it and the desk. Not something you'd probably want.

Might be worth checking if there is a custom made case for the job you want to do?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

a platform for it which would be suspended from the underside of

First up:if the desk is that big, and assuming its not a double sided partners desk but against a wall, then if the puter is positioned against the wall at the back then should be all but unnoticeable except to people down on their hands and knees. From a subsequent post: whereas any strapping lash up will most certainly be noticeable to anyone down on their hands and knees

And as with all these things you could probably paint it bright orange and actually stand it on the desk, and after a few weeks not even notice it was there, half of the time.

And no matter how much you try to hide the box you'll still have all those unsightly cables trailing across the desk to the screen, the mouse and the keyboard.

Unless of course you intend to have a wireless connections to all three - in which case there's no need for the puter to be anywhere near to the desk in first place. Never mind hidden underneath.

michael adams

Turnip Watch

I've got my PC under an Ikea desk. I got a pc hanger shelf with the desk when I bought it. I have a very small mini itx case, but I could fit a smallish mini atx tower case upright without problem. It sits on a shelf and is strapped in with a belt. Originally I did try with a proper tower case but gave up because it was too big and I kept kicking it.

It doesn't transmit noise through the desk any more than it would if it were on top. The case has a reverse pressure case fan, sucks in through a filter, so it doesn't clog up with dust, so although it would be a pain to get it out and fiddle with it I never do.

Reply to
Nick

Not too easy to do in the dark, down on your knees, grovelling under the desk.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

It's getting to close to the point of asking "What does anyone use optical discs for?". There is little for which they are necessary now.

The problem can easily be addressed by using a USB drive and a bit of cable.

Reply to
polygonum

Indeed for the noise. My tower sits on top if my desk, on a towel. Otherwise the desk vibrates with the motion of the CPU water cooler pump.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Don't screw into chips, they have delicate circuitry inside :-)

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It will also protect your computer in the event of an emergency stop.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Ripping DVDs and installing Linux, mainly. Of course a USB connected drive is just as good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I used one the other day when one of the neighbours kids needed a driver for a wifi stick to get net access when he didn't have a USB stick handy. And then he discovered that his system couldn't read it, so he hunted up a USB stick.

I had previously put some music on one for a his grand dad who wouldn't know what a USB stick was if one bit him on his lard arse, but does know what a CD is about.

Not if you don't have one handy. I couldn't put my hand on one of mine to lend him.

Reply to
jack

En el artículo , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net escribió:

That was in the era when stepper motors were used to move the heads, so we're talking 30+ years ago. It's been voice coils and servo tracks since then.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Sam Plusnet escribió:

Easy to do by feel.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Murmansk escribió:

if you can stand the whiny voice long enough.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

"Humanscale" do some great under desk CPU holders:

They pop up on eBay from time to time.

Good stuff.

Reply to
Vortex12

Well I make lots of CD copies to play in the car stereo and for my wife's CD player in the kitchen.

Reply to
Bod

Yes, I nearly always install from a USB stick nowadays.

That is a point regarding the 'under desk' mounting, you probably need to be able to get a USB sockets fairly frequently. I guess a permanently connected hub gets round that.

Reply to
cl

Some of the older kit I work on wont boot from USB.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure it is. Here, an internal SATA DVD is noticeably faster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pretty much all I use (when I do use it) the optical drive for.

When I built this system put in an optical drive as I thought "you never know..." but as yet I haven't used it (also put a card reader in an other 5.25" bay, but tend to leave cards in devices and connect the whole shooting match to the system ) seriously considering removing them (as they are never used) so I can remove two lots of power wires and two lots of SATA data wires.

Reply to
soup

I've got a HDD like that resting on the base of the PC case. It's been happy for years

Reply to
Chris French