Suspending computer under desk

I use card readers in preference to connecting the devices normally. But don't use the optical drive much. Don't really buy CD's anymore, occasional DVD maybe. But really just as easy to torrent a copy. Occasional access for other random things

I wouldn't want to not have one in at least one of the machines, but it's not essential anymore

Reply to
Chris French

Linus ~ whinny voice. Burn the heretic. :O)

Reply to
soup

I thought I would be that way too. But as I pretty much like to keep things fully charged all the time have to connect the devices (camera etc) to USB anyway and the time difference is so minimal (to me [USB V SATA]) that it is not something that bothers me. So all in all I tend to connect device after use anyway so just use that connection to read the card

Sure I picked the meaning out of all those negatives. ;O)

Reply to
soup

Run the machine headless in a cupboard somethere, use a Raspberry Pi to connect via RDP...

I wonder if ye can sucessfully use a "voice changer" desktop application to neuter it?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

'S not whinny it's Canadian.

Reply to
soup

??

Reply to
RayL12

I'm not sure of they still make them, but I've got a 'computer shelf' from Ikea which hangs underneath an Ikea desk. It's designed for the tower to be in portrait orientation but, depending on the size of your tower, you could lay it across in landscape.

This does rather beg the question, why? You state that it's a *large* desk and, by implication, you're going to keep the monitor and keyboard and mouse on the top of the desk so it can't be to provide additional desktop space, surely, since the footprint of a mini tower desktop PC doesn't occupy that much desktop real estate compared to that already required by a decent sized monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Can it be that the mini tower is such an ugly monstrosity that it needs to be hidden from sight? That's it, isn't it? The mini tower case is one of those God Awful illuminated monstrsosities and you've become sick of the sight of it. :-)

On its side should be ok as far as the HDD and optical drives are concerned but do try to arrange it so the MoBo is adjacent to the lowermost side.

Don't do it? Provided the case isn't one of those God Awful fanciful designs which precludes reclaiming the space it occupies for stacking books and other bits on its uppermost surface because it has a curved and/ or sloping top, you're not going to be losing a lot of effective desktop real estate by placing it alongside of the monitor.

Go on, admit the real reason why you feel the need to go to so much trouble to hide it out of sight. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

I've done it using some lengths of old car seat belt webbing I'd kept for 15 years waiting to find a use for them!

My moderately ugly computer base unit is now suspended on its side, motherboard at the bottom, under the desk and I can barely see it - which is exactly what I wanted. All the wires are hidden from view and it looks great!

Reply to
Murmansk