student TV problem in London (oh yes)

Still is:

?R3D4218DB

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I hope so - life is hard when you're a wimp :(

Reply to
Richard Conway

Well that would be a better way of funding the rest of the BBC, would save a fortune by not having to collect and enforce the licence fee, and would then only be paid by taxpayers, so students would be exempt!

Reply to
Dave Jones

I've never thought of you as a wimp.

Come on man! Pull yourself together :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

a) the rest of the BBC isn't anything to do with theForeign Office.

b) students pay tax.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

No. Out of general taxation!

Yes but not much income tax usually. (But don't get me started on that one!)

Reply to
Dave Jones

Or use a battery-powered set; then they can view under their parents' licence.

Reply to
Bob Eager

parents'

Isn't that a self contained (internal batteries) portable receiver with it's own antenna though?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Is that fair on those of us who don't have a television?

I didn't say income tax.

Amost everything we buy is taxed. Students don't just spend money on books and VAT zero rated food.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed. I didn't bother to repeat the full details I'd already given earlier in the thread.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You can change that to EVERYTHING we buy is taxed.

Reply to
Dave Jones

In a secondary way yes. Goods which have been transported (all, at some stage) have been subjected to tax. Hadn't thought about that before, thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Don't forget about the person serving you, paying Income Tax, it's disguised as a personal tax, but the employer pays the wage, which will come from the profits of the sale/service.

Reply to
Dave Jones

Indeed.

Then there's the Environmental tax on manufacturing companies ... there must be many more.

Hmm. Makes you think ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher