student TV problem in London (oh yes)

Then you'd not be covered while he/she was away.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But does the holder of a TV license have to live at the address it is used? I.e. could the license cover the address that is on it but have the name of someone who isn't resident there?

Reply to
Richard Conway

Yes, but you must not watch TV on it when it is plugged into the mains.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They largely show BBC repeats.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The preamp won't help if you're getting nothing at all.

Buy a huge multielement wideband aerial designed to mount on a roof. Plug into the TV. Look up the frequencies of the BBC1 from all the local transmitters (i.e. Crystal Palace etc). Tune the TV into those frequency. Wave the aerial about until you get a signal, trying all the BBC1 frequencies. Hang the aerial from the ceiling in the best direction using sellotape, string and ingenuity.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just to clarify - they are parasitic on the money paid by licence payers in the 60s, 70s, 80s, & 90s. If there is no licence paid in the future they would be parasitic on those same four decades for ever - or churn out the (mainly) drivel produced under a strictly commercial system. Remember that commercial TV in the UK keeps an artificially high quality because it has to keep in contact with the BBC.

Reply to
John Cartmell

No. AIUI the only exemptions are made for 'portable' receivers in such places as Caravans etc. and being used by people from the stated address whilst they are away, the receiver(s) at the stated address are then not being in use.

As the student member of the family will be on record as living at another address they will need their own licence.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Dave Jones wrote: > Try tell that to the 65 year old, trying to live on a state pension.

At least they *get* a state pension.

More than many people of working age today can look forward to.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nice one :-)

Would that everyone gave such caveats!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Seems to be unambiguous.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You're a student?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not any more - but the lifestyle is hard to shake off!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Do we?

How? By general taxes perhaps? I didn't know that.

I'm not challenging, I'd like to know.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm older than that living on a (reduced) state pension.

I'm not complaining.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 22 Sep 2005, Mary Fisher wrote

I think it's funded by the Foreign Office -- at least it used to be -- so it comes out of general taxes.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Perhaps - but the question was about students ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah yes, something's ringing a bell, thanks.

Whoever pays it's worth every penny, I'm happy to contribute.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's funded direct by the government.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stop bullying me :(

Reply to
Richard Conway

Sorry ... when you do shake off your studenthood you'll be able to withstand bullying :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher