Stripping and painting asbestos-cement pipe

Hi,

The vent pipe from my drain appears to be made of material containing asbestos (asbestos-cement mixture I think). It's sound, but the paint is flaking off.

The pipe is outside and mounted close against the wall. Obviously I don't want to sand or wire brush it. Also I'm worried that a chemical stripper might weaken the material - is this unfounded?

Can anyone suggest an effective, safe way to prepare the surface?

Also, I've heard you need an alkali-resistant primer to avoid attacking the cement components. Any suggestions on the best types of paint are welcome.

Many thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If its white or light grey I'd use a wet scouring pad. Maybe not if its blue or brown pipe tho.

I've seen ordinary emulsion last a long time outdoors on asbestos. Dont know if theres anything thats specific for asbestos, maybe someone does.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

stabilisinng solution & external emulsion worked for us

Reply to
Steve Walker