Strange boat electrics

We've acquired a secondhand cabin cruiser, about 12 years old, which has rather weird electrics. Although the supply is 220-240v, the actual sockets are american ones! So far we've made do with the adaptors sold at airports, and nothing particularly heavy duty gets plugged in apart from the kettle and my hairdryer (!), but I do have a niggling worry that the sockets themselves may not be really up to having european electricity passed through them. The previous owners are both alive and kicking and obviously didn't manage to fry themselves, but still.....

Pen

Reply to
pen

See if the sockets have a rating stamped on them- usually on the back.

Seem an usual arrangement- where did they get all the sockets from and why? Are you sure that the sockets aren't the similar looking 12V socket system used in caravans. If so, then I would worry!

--

73 Brian
Brian Reay

When you say "supply" you mean shore power, yes? So it's an American boat plugged into the European mains. Assuming the appliances are all

230V, then it's not a problem. The yacht next to mine* in Greece has exactly this arrangement, but the owner has fitted American plugs.

Hmmm! If it can cope with a kettle (don't you have gas?) and a hairdryer, it can cope with anything.

  • My yacht in Greece
Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

American mains electrics are of lower standard than our stuff, though quite serviceable. Plugs are rated 10A continuous IIRC. A kettle would be ok since its only on for 3 mins. US plugs can occasionally sit half in half out, running hot is just accepted etc... not ideal but it works. (so I'm told anyway)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Hi,

So at 110v, 10A, does that mean our 'merkin cousins can only draw

1.1 kW from a wall socket? Seems a bit stingey, considering how much of the world's energy they manage to consume.

Regards,

Glenn.

Reply to
Glenn Booth

While watching US sourced TV programmes ... ; notice how many times the actors 'make a cup of tea' using a kettle off a hob! You never (well almost never) see them use an electric kettle. US 'lectrickery supplies 220V off a pole to each house where it's transformer centre-tapped to two antiphase

110-0-110 (AC) circuits. For something like a table-saw and/or cooker (including microwaves) they utilise ,what they call two-phase, 220V.
Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Are you sure they are American and not Shuko or one of the other 23 variations on a plug and socket favoured by European countries? Where did the boat come from?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Presumably he knows because of the type of adapters he had to buy. Seemed simple enough to me.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

On 7 Apr 2006 04:37:24 -0700 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote this:-

Many/most two pin plugs and sockets are physically compatible.

An expert is someone who knows how little they know about something. A non-expert thinks they know everything.

Reply to
David Hansen

This 1 and a mumble kW limit is why you can't get a proper cup of tea in the whole country,

They also have many sorts of wall socket because all too many things need more power. So the chances are that you simply can't use the MIG welder in the bedroom, as is so easily done on the UK system. No wonder they're falling technically behind so rapidly.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think that must be the definition of a really understanding Mrs. :-)

Or a quite amazing sex life ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Partly because they are virtually unobtainable. My parents (who live in Pennsylvania) had to buy one in Canada.

Reply to
Huge

They look like standard US sockets as observed by me on various trips over the pond. Can't be sure, I suppose.

The boat is a tarquin trader which was bought new in GB by the previous owners. I think I have been told that traders are made in Taiwan and then have a final fitting out in the country of purchase.

Pen

Reply to
pen

You can find a "spot the plug" guide at

you can get visibility of the supply cabling you may also be able to find the voltage rating printed at intervals along its length.

American sockets are quite safe at 220V (or at least as safe as their construction inherently allows - its easy to get your finger across the pins while plugging then in/out).

Reply to
Peter Parry

BT looked into getting type approval for US mains plugs. The maxmimum rating they would be permitted in the EU was

50V 2.5A.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 11:47:25 +0100 someone who may be Peter Parry wrote this:-

However, it spoils it with the following assertion, "The reason why we are now stuck with no less than 13 different styles of plugs and wall outlets, is because many countries preferred to develop a plug of their own, instead of adopting the US standard."

Reply to
David Hansen

Written by someone trained by Microsoft? ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

It's also spoiled with inaccuracies.

I spotted a few:

- The Schuko plug does become polarised if used in a France/Belgium socket with projecting pin

- The Danish socket illustrated normally has a round earth pin nowadays

- The Swiss one normally does not have the shroud around the socket since this prevents Schuko plugs from being plugged into it.

- The Israeli ones that I've seen have a rounded and not a flat earth pin.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Definitely US Type "B" from the guide.

Pen

Reply to
pen

Schuko is only the German plug, not the France/Belgium plug nor the one which fits both sockets.

France/Belgium plug is not polarised anyway. True, you can't plug it in either way round, but it is not defined which is the live or neutral pin. Actually, in just about every double socket or two-way adaptor, you'll find the two sockets hard- wired the opposite way around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel