Store Security Tag still attached.

My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I have heard of this happening before and a return to the store required (albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat inconvenient and I am visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What should I take? Will a hammer and wedge remove it, crush it in the workmate or perhaps cut it open with the Dremel and cutting disc. Just how do these things work? Any advice would be much appreciated. Mike

Reply to
Mike Laine

a steel pin is held in place by other metal object inside, the shop puts the tag on a magnet which pulls away whateve is holding to pin

I've remoived one with wire cutters, slowly nibbling away at the plasic till I could free the pin

Reply to
Vass

Mike Laine wrote: :: My grandson put on his new jumper last night for the party, only to :: find the 'flying saucer' store security thingy still attached. Now I :: have heard of this happening before and a return to the store :: required (albeit recompense given). This will be somewhat :: inconvenient and I am visiting my offspring on Wednesday. What :: should I take? Will a hammer and wedge remove it, crush it in the :: workmate or perhaps cut it open with the Dremel and cutting disc. :: Just how do these things work? :: Any advice would be much appreciated. :: Mike just be careful that it does not have a vial with dye in it

Reply to
Mr Fixit

My SHMBO got one the other day, I cut through the small nobbley bit with a pair of tin snips. The mechanism then fell apart, a large pair of side cuttuers, or a hacksaw would also do it. You only need to cut the plastic - all the way round, not all the gubbins inside.

Pulling the thing apart (which I have tried before) is very hard indeed.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I'm just wondering why the alarm didn't sound on leaving the shop?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

As I say, I have heard of this happening before and assume the alarm bit has been deactivated but the physical bit has stayed put, or the assistant thought it was a printed circuit sticker on a label and didn't look for the flying saucer. Mike

Reply to
Mike Laine

Many shops don't employ enough security staff and they are often elsewhere when the alarm goes off so it goes unchecked.

Very few people check that they themselves have set the alarm off, assuming it was someone else.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Staff got tired with all the false alarms? Last time I was in W H Smiths, the alarms were sounding every few seconds whilst I was at the checkouts. There was nobody near to the sensor columns, and staff didn't seem concerned. I guess they were then turned off as normal service & noises resumed.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

I had one once, a pair of side cutters made short work of the pin.

Reply to
John Rumm

If I set an alarm off when I'm on the way out, I just carry on going, it's a notification to the staff, not to me ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

This is true, right up to the point when you get home and realise that there's a tag attached to the item of clothing you bought. Then you post to a newsgroup...

:)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

So how do you get the tag off ? As far as I can see it need some kind of machine to release it when it is on clothing.

Reply to
Ophelia

The flying saucers can be safely removed with wire cutters or anything else you can use - be careful not to damage the product though.

The dye vial type need to be stuck in the freezer overnight first. Then they can be removed the same way. Just make sure you remove it before it defrosts, and bag the vial after removal.

Both snippets of advice are based on experience, but if it's expensive, don't trust me - take it back to the store instead.

Reply to
TimB

Next time you are in a shop that uses these sort of tags have a look on the counter beside the tills for a circular device about 2-3" across with a depression in the centre ( well any I've seen have ) .Thats the device the shop use .They place the tag on top and it releases the 2 parts of the tag ...I always believed it was a magnetic device of some sort.. See here .halfway down the page .

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

It's always been the "stick on spiral RF loop" type, so not a problem, you can even cut/peel them off and carry them round in your wallet, just to annoy Mr. "Can I see your receipt?" standing near the exit at B&Q ;-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Reply to
Ophelia

See the other post about that depression on the counter that releases them.

Reply to
Ophelia

When our daughter was pregnant for the first time, my wife went off to Mothercare and bought one of everything, like Mums do. Unfortunately one of those tags was left on and she nor anybody else paid any regard to the alarm sounding as she walked out of the shop.

The goods were all parcelled up and sent to daughter, who spotted the tag. Daughter then sent her husband off to Mothercare to ask that they remove the tag ( having had the receipt posted up too ).

So he walks into Mothercare to the sound of alarms. Explains the situation to the staff, who explain that their branch uses a different type of tag, but they think that Dorothy Perkins use that type. So he walks out of Mothercare, with the alarm ringing, walks into an equally noisy Dotty P and they explain that they don't use those particular tags either. So he spends the whole morning marching in and out of various clothes shops, to a chorus of alarms at every entrance and exit until one retailer has the appropriate gadget.

Reply to
Roly

Clearly he wasn't a father at that point.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have heard that some shops use dummy tags as a deterrent.

sponix

Reply to
sponix