Storage trays

Can anyone recommend some multicompartment storage trays? I want some for storing lots of small bits in. I looked in Wickes but was unimpressed. The trays had insecure catches so I doubt theyd be burstproof, and they ponged pretty strong.

ta, NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not trays, but I have a bunch of these and think they're great.

(there are some trays lower down the page)

Reply to
Grunff

=========================== I've got two of these:

're quite strong and half the trays are subdivided into 3 compartments giving a total of 32 separate compartments. They also do two other sizes- 25 /

36 drawer which you might consider.

I've also made a storage cabinet using garden seed trays which gives 44 separate compartments in a cupboard measuring 6' x 22" x 16" (H x W X D) but this might be too big for what you want.

Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 424 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

thanks, those look like a fairly good option. Are they burstproof, ie will they stay securely shut when dropped?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'll have to recheck when the site's working to see what those are.

Yes, 6' is much too big :) I want trays I can store small stuff in on the shelf and I can then pick what trays I need to take for a job. About a square foot by 2" deep, or maybe half that, is the sort of thing I'm after. Too many of these multicompartment trays arent burstproof, and thats a no-no. The ones I've got are perfect, but not sold any more, and I need to scale up really.

Thanks to both of you.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

They have a locking mechanism, but I wouldn't want to count on it holding when dropped if the container is filled with heavy stuff.

A couple of mine are filled with metric nuts in various sizes. These are very heavy, and I suspect even a small drop would break them.

Another one is filled with electronic components. It weighs very little, and I'm sure the lock would hold.

One nice feature is that they open up sideways, so they can be wall hung if/when required.

Reply to
Grunff

type RAACO box in the search entry.

Reply to
James Salisbury

I use some cases made by a ( German ? ) company called Systainer. I got them from a company in Southampton called Solent Plastics, but they appear to have moved away, however the same cases, but not the inserts are available from RS, so others may also stock them.

They're not cheap, but the four catches are exceedingly strong and very cleverly designed so that the top catches can be made to extend and latch onto the bottom of a similar case stacked above it. The cases come in various heights from 3 " to well over a foot and all can latch together to make one conveniently carried item.

They offer plastic inserts in a range of sizes ( for the shallowest box only ) and you can mix and match to suit the stuff you need to store. They also offer foam inserts and other solutions too.

I've used many sorts of cases, from the cheap and nasty through to full-blown flight cases and thse are some of the most impressive ones I've ever had. My first ones are now more than ten years old and still in daily use travelling around - they are battered, but totally secure.

Reply to
Roly