Stopping thermostatic radiator valve

In another thread, I was asking about taking off a radiator that used a thermostatic valve and the inherent risks of just relying upon the valve to keep closed when the radiator is off.

Although the suggestion about using a small coin to force the valve off is a good one, I've decided to try and get the right stop/end thingy.

Question is, what do I ask for at our local plumbing shop? It's a 22mm fitting but that's about all I know :-) Is it a compression fitting or a screw fitting on the little pipes sticking out of a radiator?

Thanks, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Dunno quite how "standard" radiator tails are. When doing rad lifting in previous bouts of decoration, I found my CH tails had screwed ends on the ends of their lockshield and TRV valves. My plumbing-bits box had some chromed 'ring nuts' - quite a thin wall, ridges for a spanner to grip, and a 'folded over' top producing an Hole of smaller diameter than the inner diameter of the threaded bit. That folded-over top was the perfect thing to hold a PTFE-tape-wrapped One New Penny in place over the TRV and lockshield exit...

HTH - Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

For the various thermostatic valves I have used they all came with a plastic stop cap to use in place of the thermostatic head when it was removed These were different for each valve brand. Not sure if they would be available separately I would guess that you would need to tell the shop what brand or take a thermostat head with you

Now if I could only remember where I put mine

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Not all valves use caps, though. My Invensys Lifestyle ones have separate frost setting (*) and real off (0). A much better system, as the caps always get lost.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Our Siemens ones have that too ...... but they still come on if it's very cold when they're set to zero.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Then they don't have the same feature!

The point of the Invensys feature is that they will never turn on and dump the contents of your heating system onto the carpet. '0' is the "decorator" setting. The dial goes something like:

6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - * 0

The extra long gap means that the pin is well pressed down, just like a decorator's cap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

They sound brilliant; where do you get them? Is that the TRV4 at about £20? Is the Drayton the same?

Reply to
Newshound

Technically, they are the range below the TRV. I believe they're called the RT212 and are branded "Lifestyle", rather than Drayton, although they might now show Drayton on the box somewhere.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ahh, that's sensible :-) Shame my doesn't have that :-(

Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

I was just about to respond with the same advice, but as someone else has already done so I won't!

Doubt it very much.

A thought though - why not post the details of your TRVs here, maybe someone has a spare cap they don't need? eg, I've got several from last time we had a CH system, with matching TRVs - I don't need all those caps (so why did I keep them? and more to the point, where did I put them :-) )

David

Reply to
Lobster

All moot anyway as we stressed the pathetic 10mm pipe undoing the release nut so it started leaking where the copper pipe goes into the valve. So ended up draining the system, lopping the pipe off and soldering the end anyway.

Ho hum...

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

Just found this old post and I'm grateful for it! I just got a Drayto

RT212 and I was wondering how to lock it shut, as it doesn't come wit a safety cap. Their instructions are pants too! Your insight i.e.

6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - * 0

allowed me to find the off position.

For anyone else thats interested, when you reach the star setting kee turning (need a bit more force after the * position), and eventuall you come to the hallowed '0'/decorator position.

Christian McArdle Wrote:

-- Dysanovic

Reply to
Dysanovic