starting diesel transit that's not run for a year...

Gotta love the Aussies

Andy Burns

Mike Harrison

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember andrew saying something like:

It's excessive use (as in, too much each application) that can cause the problem. The detonation rattle from too much ether points up to it being not a good thing to overdo it. Unfortunately, too many fucknuggets out there don't read instructions or have much nous, so happily douse their intakes with loads of it, leading to the bad rep of ether starting cans and gave rise to the 'addicted' notion.

I avoid using it if possible, preferring the burning rag method, but that's often difficult in today's engine bays, and if just enough ether is used the engine will happily start without too much trauma.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

If a suitable electric supply is available a Hot air gun or powerful Hairdryer can sometimes be used as a substitute for a burning rag.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There is a flame start attachment for 2.5D Transits in cold weather. Where diesel is sprayed onto an incandescent wire. If I continued to run my old vehicle it would be something I would consider finding more about and purchasing if the cost was reasonable.

Reply to
Fred