Stair Lift

Any ideas on the cost of having a stairlift fitted to a typical 1960's semi. Does anyone fit reconditioned ones?

Reply to
John

We investigated a stair lift a few years back.

I can not remember the cost but it was too expensive to consider and no grants where available at the time.

The things that up the cost are if there are any turns in the stairs and the suitability of walls in the hall & landing to take the rail. We had 2 turns and required a special platform due to the location of a door to the bottom of the stairs.

We did ask about secondhand/reconditioned stair lifts but none of the manufacturers we asked would do them, they said "all houses are different". Could not find any independent place either.

I suggest you get someone round to quote. The ones we dealt with where happy enough when we decided not to follow thorough.

Eric

Reply to
Eric the Red

There is no such thing as "typical" I'm afraid. Stairlifts are usually made to measure with the various parts cut to fit the house. If you have a straight stairs with simple landings you might find an old one which fits the same dimensions. Other than that there isn't much of a market for "reconditioned" as the cost of the mechanical bits isn't a huge proportion of the overall cost.

Reply to
Peter Parry

A starting ball-park figure is about £2000 I believe, as of about 5 years back. Reconditioned yes, but I'm damned if I can think of the name. Will post if it comes to mind. It's a company in the Stourbridge/Wolverly area.

Reply to
Ray

I don't know what your situation is, but have you contacted the social services dept. at your local authority and asked to speak to an occupational therapist?

Although this can be tedious, it may be possible that they will contribute towards the cost, depending on the circumstances. I understand that normally there is an assessment and scoring system which includes medical and practical factors as well as financial. Essentially, if it can be demonstrated that a stairlift will help with access to parts of the house, especially the toilet and bathroom and potentially reduce other dependencies, then it may be considered for some form of assistance.

One other important point is to carefully check what the service arrangements and costs are. I understand that some products are better covered than others.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Probably Sunrise Medical. They make a whole range of assistive equipment, but I don't believe stairlifts any longer.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall
[10 lines snipped]

Odd, given that they'll buy them back when the user no longer requires them.

Reply to
Huge

Stannah advertise reconditioned ones. They advertise in the Telegraph.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

About five years ago I bought one for an aunt, which cost £2,500 for a stair with a turn at the top. Prior to that, a straight lift for my parents cost about £2,000.

ISTR that the one I bought for my aunt had a reconditioned chair with a new track. As the track layout is made to suit the individual requirements of each house, you would need to be very lucky to find one that matched your needs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

New ones are 1600 up for straight track, and ITRO 3000 for non-straight. Second hand the very bottom of the market starts at about 600, if you can find one.

It is possible to DIY them for about £200 up, but you truly do need to understand all the safety aspects of the job, and to make one for someone else's use would be, erm, unwise?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton