Stair lift.

Hi All, I have just been asked by a friend to disconnect the electrics for a stair lift he has purchased and then re-connect it again after he has installed it. I will only be doing the electrics, does anyone know of any safety rules/ certificates etc that I should be aware of.
Thanks

probably leave behind as it's too much hassle to remove. But fitting the stairlift to it's new site, will require a spur unless you can fix a fused box alongside an existing mains socket.You will also need to reattach the remote controls (and the square ducting) to the wall at the top and bottom of the stairs. I found some double sided sticky tape plus screws in the controls themselves worked OK. Technically I found it no more difficult than wireing a plug! The Q

Apart from BS7671 (16th edition wiring regs) I am not familiar with other regs which you should be aware of - perhaps others will advise that. HOWEVER......
.....I would not personally take on a job to attach or install a stairlift. Reason being that the person using the stairlift is already crippled and may not be entirely capable of handling their own movements. In the event that it wasn't installed/configured properly I wouldn't want it on my conscience if the disabled person experienced a fall or other malady. Neither would I want to argue my corner in a court of law if it transpired that I had neglected to do something.
This is one of those jobs which I would happily leave up to the qualified profession, who are backed with insurances etc.
YMMV.
PoP
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 20:02:26 +0100, PoP

Reasonable argument against installing it
But this is just doing the electrics. There's nothing magic about stair-lift electricity, or any real difference between this and a toaster.
On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 21:51:52 +0100, Andy Dingley

I am in full agreement with that, but connecting up the lecky is going to be pretty much the last job on the list of getting the stairlift installed. In the event of someone getting hurt (or worse - falling down the stairs and causing a fatality) there would most likely be questions asked of the last person to have carried out maintenance on the stairlift.
I don't have a problem with other people doing what's necessary with a stairlift, I'm just stating that it isn't a job I'd want to take ownership of, for the reasons expressed.
PoP
PoP wrote:

I'd agree with you, I know a lift engineer (1) and it's basically similar to doing gas work - in that the last person to do maintenance of any kind is responsible for the entire state of the lift. Pretty unfair IMO, but them's the rules. Allegedly.
(1) A real one, as in passenger lifts. Although stairlifts are counted as such as well aren't they?
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and NTL world com

On 5 Sep 2003 09:14:09 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

It's already here. That's why there are so many addies on the TV channels about suing others, no-win no-fee.
PoP