Stainless Steel Backplate

I've got a Stainless Steel Backplate to put up behind the cooker to protect the wall.

Do I need a special drill bit for it?

Cheers Steve

Reply to
80/20

Yes. A sharp one. SS drills OK but work hardens easily so make sure your drill is sharp before you start. It might be worth getting a new one unless your drill sharpening skills are good. Other than that, treat it as normal steel but maybe a little slower on the speed if possible and some oil on the drill will help.

John

Reply to
John

Not necessarily.

If you are not used to drilling metals, I would think that your collection of drills would not be up to this job. As another poster says, 'if your drill sharpening skills are not up to it', I would recommend that you find your local engineering suppliers and ask them as to what drills (twist drills) you would need.

Having worked with drilling all sorts of metal by hand for well over 40 years, I know something about how to go about how to drill some of the harder metals. With the metal you are about to drill and using a normal High speed drill (It can be done)...

1 Never let the twist drill spin on the metal without it revolving very slowly.

2 Never let the twist drill revolve on the metal without considerable pressure being applied behind the twist drill. i.e. Make sure that the line of pressure is along the line of the twist drill. Not from the power drill handle.

3 Ensure that the twist drill is as sharp as you can make it and does not have too sharp a cutting angle. Look at the drill from the side, pointing at 90 degrees from the body, cutting edge to the right and note the angle from the cutting edge to the left. The faster it drops, the worse it will perform in cutting SS.

4 If the metal changes colour, when you are drilling it, you are doing it totally wrong and may be in danger of hardening the metal to such a point that the drill you are using will never bite again on the hole you are trying to drill.

If you need to put in countersunk screws, then you will have a problem, as countersinks for this metal are possibly quite expensive.

Dave

e-mail address is valid if you want further info.

Reply to
Dave

HSS will blunt rapidly, even after one or two holes. Cobalt at low speed with a lubricant will work a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Wouldn't it be easier just to use some squirty glue?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Is it a purpose designed backplate ? If so you shouldn't have to drill it, they usually hang on the lip or corners behind to conceal the fixings.

Reply to
powerstation

The message from Owain contains these words:

Or magnets - depending on the grade of the stainless.

Reply to
Guy King

That's what I did - silicone sealant on the back of the SS with a couple of screws in the wall behind the cooker to rest the edge of the sheet on before I pushed it up into position.

Just be careful when you offer it up - I thought I'd have some scope to adjust the position once on the wall, but it stuck immovably once suctioned onto the tiles! Luckily it was lined up right, but be aware of this!

Yours, Nathan

Reply to
Nathan Critchlow-Watton

Last SS splashback I fitted I just used copius amounts of No More Nails. That was a 40" x 16" jobby and it's still up.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Judging by the comments about drilling the SS I'm beginning to think the "stickers" have a very valid view.

Thanks Folks

Another job for a wet Whitsun holiday!

Reply to
80/20