square turned spindles?

I have neighbours who is doing a loft conversion on an Edwardian semi-detached. They would like to continue the staircase using the same type of spindles and handrail as on the older part. The problem is that the spindles are "square" turned, and there does not appear to be anyone in this area (northeast of England) who does this. They have a joiner who has offered to make some for them (I think using a bandsaw and then letting them sand out the imperfections). They also found a name for a company in London which will do this for £24/spindle. The style is not uncommon, and various architectural salvage places do get such spindles occasionally. Getting the right length is the main problem--apparently currrent regulations require that the banister be 10cm taller than the original.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Dritschel

mouse

I'm surprised at this - when I was overhauling mine and needed a few matching spares, a workmate's father turned them up on the wood lathe in his shed - and they were a perfect match.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Depending on the complexity of the detail it is possible to produce these using a spindle moulder and a router. Needs a good machinist though.

Richard

Reply to
Rick

What does square turned mean?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Centre portion of spindle has corners turned off, and is then fluted. Mouse

Reply to
mouse