Source of stick-type wallplugs

I prefer the devil I know!

Reply to
Windmill

Didn't even know what they were called until I stumbled acros the description in the wiki, which said they were rare. So I didn't try EBay at all.

Slightly too short, I think.

Reply to
Windmill

The plastic ones work well for me.

Reply to
Windmill

I find that with the strip type, the part which is in the brick prevents the part which is in the plaster from turning, the part in the plaster gives some side(vertical) load bearing capability even if the hole diameter is a bit too great in the plaster part of the hole, and if the strip fails to be tapped in to the full intended depth for some reason, you can often just cut off the still-protruding part at the surface, assuming that leaves a sufficient amount in the brick where the grip is strongest.

Reply to
Windmill

Frame fixings are actually very strong if the hole is drilled correctly.

Reply to
Tim Watts

A (new) 3mm masonry drill without hammer action will usually give you a good starter hole in iffy masonry. I only use hammer where necessary.

Reply to
stuart noble
8<

The plastic ones replaced the fibre Rawlplugs because they work better and don't have asbestos in them. Like any fixing (except maybe resin) you need to do them correctly for maximum strength.

Reply to
dennis

That would surely be a problem for any plug type. Just ram some wood in there.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I second that. Been forced into the drilling of pilot holes because otherwise I often create an 'orrible bodge which I have to try to fix with filler and/or cement. I do use hammer action still. Did try without and seemed to make little progress perhaps because of drill bit bluntness. But maybe it would be better yet if I just persevered.

Reply to
Windmill

I'm in a similar situation here fixing shelves to 35mm insulated plasterboard stuck on a blockwork wall. Decided to go for Rigifix wall anchors - they're a bit pricey at £1 each (though you can get them about 30% cheaper on Ebay) but they really do the the business with a much better grip than frame fixings. There's a Youtube video at

You need to be careful to make sure to drill a neat 12mm hole for them though. If the drill shakes about and makes an oversize hole then the body of the plug just spins round when you try to screw in the metal core.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

That I like ^^

Reply to
Tim Watts

And just for info,

just received the pack of 5 each x 300 mm in three sizes for £5-99 including postage, good value for those jobs which they do well.

Reply to
newshound

If you are going to the trouble of putting holes that big in you may as well get a tube of filler and fill the gap behind the board and redrill after its set.

Reply to
dennis

You get quicker progress, a neater hole & less bit wear if you use hammer action. With sds its even better

NT

Reply to
meow2222