Source for US bolts?

Hi

I need to get some 3/6" x 6" bolts and I am told they are 'UNC', whatever that means. Does anyone have a source for US size bolts?

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim Sampson

Wash your bloody mouth out son! UNC - Unified National Coarse - British through and through. Nothing to do with yanks. You mean 3/8" I presume not 3/6". Go to a nut and bolt stockist same as all the other bolt queries this group seems to produce.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yes, I meant 3/8", it is very hot, you know :-)

I thought hey, nuts and bolts = Screwfix, but no - metric only (or am I missing something?)

At least you didn't say "Google is your friend".

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Sampson

Any good

?

Reply to
Steven Pilbeam

Unless I am mistaken, the differences between UNC and Whitworth are very slight - the TPI is the same but the threadform is slightly different - but for most purposes they are interchangeable.

Your original bolts may even be Whitworth - it isn't that easy to tell the difference.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

Whitworth (BSW) has a 55 degree thread form (as does BSF) and UNC and UNF have a 60 degree one like metric bolts. The pitches are the same, apart from the

1/2" size for some arcane reason, but I wouldn't call them interchangeable because only the right nuts will be a good fit. Anyway BSW bolts are pretty rare these days although it's still a common thread for studding. A bolt will almost certainly be UNC.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I believe that RS Components (rswww.com?) and Farnell (farnell.co.uk?) can supply a selected range. They may not have what you want, or the quantity, though ... hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

UNC -- Unified National Course UNF -- Unified National Fine

I assume 3/6" is meant to be 3/16"?

Actually, the UK was partly responsible for these standards, but didn't adopt them when they were finalised.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It is American Standard Coarse under a different name. Following compatibility problems during WW2, Britain and the USA agreed to adopt a unified thread system (UNC and UNF). However, as most of the hardware was being built in the USA, what that actually meant was that Britain would adopt the US system. Of course, they did not replace Whitworth and BSF, they merely added to the range of choice available.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
<nightjar>

No, it's American. We adopted it during WW2, because it's always easier to do whatever the Americans tell us, then claim we invented it.

Up in Dad's big shed, we still have several ton of these things.... Not many are under 1" though.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

No shit, where?

-- Steve R

-- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

Reply to
Essjay001

It's marked on the head

Steve R

-- "Latest gear:- One piece one button suit extremely comfortable, perfect for Relaxation, Sports, Hiking, Swimming, a must have" OOPS sorry you have one!!!

Reply to
Essjay001

They were common on UK made cars until the mid '80s.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Look in your Yellow Pages for fastener and fixing merchants. Orbital Fasteners in Rickmansworth, Herts have been very helpful in supplying UNF/UNC nuts and bolts for a car restoration project of mine. More obscure stuff I got from another supplier in Uxbridge, but their name escapes me at the moment.

Reply to
Philip Stokes