Sound insulation in floors with exposed beam ceiling below

All

Does anybody have any ideas as to which design / products I will need to use to provide sound insulation through a celing / floor. The celing will have exposed beams. The beams are 7 inches, and I want 3-4 inches exposed.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

In message , Rick writes

Try a search for reduc strata. It's very heavy so you may need a structural engineer to confirm that your floor can take it.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

The old technique was sand poured between the joists, but ditto with the above warning.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

When I saw what this product is, I also looked at Rockwool, the technical dept said to do this :-

We would recommend laying 100mm Rockwool Flexi between the beams supported on chicken wire, cross battens between the beams and a soundbloc plasterboard fitted between the beams. I have attached a detail which is similar (Figure 4) and we would expect this construction to achieve a sound reduction in the region of 35-40dB. Data sheet for the Flexi product also attached. Hope this is of help. Thank you On Behalf of Technical Enquiries

I have not worked out what the "cross battens between the beams" is for, so maybe somebody knows ....

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

To better support the chicken wire?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Breifly, you can:

either lay sound absorbent stuff on the floor, and add another floor on top

or put the absorbetn under the floor between the beams

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The technical dept clarified .......

The chicken wire is just there to hold the insulation in place as we usethis construction to acheive the fire rating. The rockwool flexi isdesigned to be frictioned fitted and therefore there is not really a needfor the chicken wire. The battens are there for ease of fixing for theplasterboard.

So the answer to the orignal question, is to use a dence acoustic plasterboard, and an accoustic rockwool.

Reply to
Rick

Its almost impossible to do thia, but here are a couole if ideas.

1/. over the top of th ebeanms lay rubber or fibre board before laying upstairs flooring: This damps out footsetps a bit..

2/. Put in ceiling first, and use dry sand filled polythene bags laid on top before adding flooring above.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher