Sorting scissors

I rather overdid tightening up the 'rivet' on a decent old pair of wallpaper scissors after sharpening. Any tips on loosening it slightly?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Open the scissors to 90 degrees and rest the top blade on two blocks. Make a U shaped piece of wood and use it to punch the lower blade with a hammer.

Reply to
Matty F

In article , Matty F writes

Leave blades closed and place butt side of rivet in the gap of a slightly open vice with jaws closely supporting the blades. Tap other end of rivet with pin punch & hammer.

I think the 90deg solution might risk distorting the blades.

Reply to
fred

put a smear of carborundum valve paste in the hinge area and work it for 10 mins?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Angle grinder...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

(News)"

Obviously the blocks should be as close together as possible, i.e. about 15mm.

Reply to
Matty F

I assume you have a vice.

Open it enough to accomadate the size of the head rivet of the rivet that holds the two blades together and take a small hammer and tap the rivet, on the flat side, until the scissors become *reasonably* free.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave